Making a cinder Block stand look nice?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
hey guys, im on a bit of a tight budget now and i need a new stand for my new 75g tank and i was gonna be using cinder block, would two colums of cinder blocks be good on each side? of would i need a 3rd one in the middle? and also how would i make it look better and not a big eye sore, i was thinking of covering it in plywood but i still wanna be able to access a sump im gonna be installing, how would i go about doing this?

thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What size tank are you working with here?...I think the two columns would do well supporting a four foot long tank with either a sheet of plywood or two by fours between the tank and bricks.I would just paint the columns.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oops,I just saw where you mentioned the size.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
You could velcro black fabric around it

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This works. I just leave mine bare but there's a wall on the opposite end.View attachment 983924

If you support it on 2x2's like I did you can see where you could easily attach fabric with small wood tacks or staples.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Kav, tried to pm you back but your inbox upkeep is horrid :p

Here's what I was going to say:
As long as the rim of the tank is evenly supported that's fine. Plywood can work it just needs to evenly contact the rim and be level and it will last forever, so basically the plywood would need to be the exact dimensions of the bottom of you tank! Cinderblocks are used in many construction applications such as building foundations so they will not break down no matter the elements. Mine he been up over a year. And for a 4' tank 2 columns are sufficient. At your hardware store pick out the largest and heaviest ones. Also helps when the tank is setup parallel with a wall because technically you could push it over. And right on about the pothos, glad it worked!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
Cinderblock and H beam stand. Use cabinet facing attached with magnets to H beams. Rock solid and costs less than all metal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store