Fang's Puffers and cichlids don't mix!

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Here is a video of what 2 fang's puffers did to the tails of my larger cichlids. Needless to say, I isolated them after I noticed the damage and returned the little boogers back to the store. Didn't realize how aggressive they could be, but nevertheless, I was curious. Never again. I hope my fish can grow out their fins the way they were before, but I know it will take time.:( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2ZeruitTI&feature=youtu.be

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cant blame the puffers for lack of research...

Puffers as a whole are notorious fin nippers / killers and normally do best alone or in a species only tank...

At least thats a lesson learned with no deaths...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Cant blame the puffers for lack of research...

Puffers as a whole are notorious fin nippers / killers and normally do best alone or in a species only tank...

At least thats a lesson learned with no deaths...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Definitely not blaming them....I have had other freshwater puffers but never a pair of Tetraodon Cochinchinensis. It seems that the only fish that didn't get clipped were the ones who were not being super nosy. I would have tolerated a nip or two, but when like 6 of my fish had multiple bites I figured I should have googled Fang's puffers before bringing them home. I used to have a much larger Fahaka who was more compatible, but these little red eyed guys are mean. All good though, they are being placed in a good home. Where they can be "Home Alone", haha, jk. Bad joke, just meant that they should be kept alone because they are known to show aggression to conspecifics. And yes...NO DEATHS...very lucky. Thanks!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My Fahaka wags its tail like a puppy dog at everything it sees. My wife thinks it is the friendliest fish I have. She has never been around when it wags its tail at a fish that I drop in. Instant happy death. I and many others have Mbu with other fish with no problem, but that isn't always the case.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store