What's wrong with my pleco's belly?

Picmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I friend of mine gave me a pleco that outgrew it's tank. The pleco seems find especially because it's now in a much larger tank. I noticed the other day that it has these white spots on it's belly. His behavior hasn't changed since I've had him(2 months) but it's never had these spots either. Any idea what this is?
-Thanks
Mike

Pleco.png

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
I agree did he come from a tank with rough gravel?

Picmac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Yes but he looked fine when I got him so I don't think it was his old tank. He now has a tank with sand substrate. There is one rock that's a bit rough that he could be exposed to. Other than that it's a pretty safe aquarium.

Raiders420

Feeder Fish
Feb 11, 2017
Sorry for stealing ur forum I was looking this up for my plecos also I have the same problem not as bad as his ...not sure what it is ....Ive had them for maybe ten years just got them in a 75 gallon tank a month ago and they never had this before.....I have a peacock eel,zig zag eel,5 tetras,2 kuhili loaches,1 Nigerian bircir, and 3 Cory cats and well my two plecos ......My tetras have been a lil more aggive toward each other I know this is from new tank syndrome I've read the plecos can get that fuzz stuff from frequently cleaning tank and that's what I was doing for awhile is that what it could be or is it a fungus....

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
That's normal. My common pleco changed his belly colour to this from time to time. I am not sure why they do. Its not a disease of any kind anyway. It will turn normal again in hours, a day or so. I had sand, its nothing to do with the substrate. Common plecs are a bit of a chameleon. Mine also took the colour of the driftwood too, like dark solid brown. The next hour he'd be fully spotted, etc..

Reactions: GamerChick5567

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It must be normal. My two sailfins get this to some extent once in a while. I haven't been able to attribute it to anything specific. And my moms sainfin(kept in a different tank) does it too. Both tanks have river rock/pea gravel substrate and rock decor.
They also changed color from time to time. Getting stripes on occasion and then the next minute they are gone. As long as your tank readings are all in check you should be fine.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store