2 new Reticulata pups

Anthony070

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Netherlands
Picked up a male and female Reticulata pup 2 days ago, both home-bred, not wildcaught, and looking super healthy. I'm a first time ray owner, been reading a lot, and trying to do everything right the first time around! They are 26 days old, super active and settling in well! I already saw them nipping a little bit of brine shrimp yesterday! They are in my 180G 6x2x2 together with some angelfish, a flagtail, 2 oscars, 2 spotted pike characins, 2 senegal birchirs, 2 electrict blue pulchers, and 1 black ghost knife fish.

Filtration wise I have 3 big canisters hooked up to the tank, which turn over 6x the aquarium volume, all filled with high quality biological material, and including UV-sterilisation.

I'm aware that the female is definetly going to outgrow my tank within 2 years. Hopefully I'll be able to convince by gf to allow a tank upgrade by then (so my cichla-wish can also be fufilled :p). If I'm not able to upgrade I'll be getting rid of the female by then, and I'll keep the male :).

20140124_160111.jpg20140124_160116.jpg20140124_170624.jpg20140125_144758.jpg20140125_144804.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWAuoaOT28

20140124_160111.jpg

20140124_160116.jpg

20140124_170624.jpg

20140125_144758.jpg

20140125_144804.jpg

Anthony070

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Netherlands
Do any experienced ray keepers have some tips to get the food to the rays? They were on brine shrimp at the guy where I picked them up. However, my other fish all LOVE brineshrimp as well, and I'm afraid this way not enough gets to the rays. I've tried with a PVC tube, no succes, and my next move is sticking the frozen cubes in front of them in the sand.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Nice little pups! ......careful with frozen foods it can upset their stomach, try chopping nightcrawlers very small they sink like little rocks lol and believe it or not but 6x turnover soon wont be enough 10x is a better goal and you may wanna be careful with Oscar, cichlid any aggressive fish they tend to nip at the disk and tails of rays which can cause infection ect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Anthony070

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Netherlands
Thanx for your reply Ray! This is all good info that I can use! I'm definetely going to go out and buy nightcrawlers first thing tomorrow. I have no issues with getting another canister for them in the future! I've actually been lucky with my oscars; they are VERY mellow to all the other fish and behave more like clumsy puppies than agressive predators. They do, however, have eyes bigger than their stomach, which makes it hard for me to get the food to the rays, which haven't shown any 'greedy' behaviour yet. They seem to search for food after all the other fishes already ate it... Will they become more greedy once they settle in and become more hungry? Or are they always slow feeders? I'll definitely going to buy nightcrawlers first thing tomorrow. Putting the frozen cube in the sand right in front of them with tweezers was the only way I could think of to get the food directly to the rays. Do you have any other suggestions?

Edit: Since you are an experienced keeper, do they look healthy to you?

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
They will learn to be aggressive to food, live foods will help, ghost shrimp usually work but theyre not real nutritious they can be picky eaters......I agree feed everyone else then drop the rays food. They can be touchy creatures def keep an eye on watere parameters as they settle in and eat regularly they produce alot of waste both solid and liquid its shocking how much they can eat and that calculates to alot of waste but if the water is good and they eat good they will grow quick and are alot of fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
If your able to get black worms try to use them first, great food for young rays. Best way to feed them in my expierence is to use a turkey baseter. What's great about black worms is that they won't spoil your water quality and they will stay in your substrate until the rays decide to feast on them.

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
Those rays have small mouths and tiny stomachs. , are there hip bones showing ? I would put a divider in there giving them 1/3 of the tank , that's all they need to find the tiny worms they need with over feeding and having the other large fish getting food first

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
Those rays have small stomachs and small mouths , are there hip bone showing yet ? I would divide the tank giving them one third with the divider that's only need to find the small worms they need ,anything more possible worms will get lost by overfeeding in the larger fish will eat the food first. Your rays need to pack on weight not swim the length of the tank looking for food

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store