Large Spot or Small Spot?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Can anyone please advise whether this would be considered a large spot, or small spot? Juvenile fish, approx. 4" TL, I'm guessing male for a number of reasons, but could be wrong. Washed out color is due to camera flash.

Thanks for any insight!

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
There are about 4 species of Paratilapia in the US. Hard to tell what you have, it may be from Marolambo, usually referred to as polleni. Unfortunately, many hybrids may be around as people are unaware of the many species around.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks. So in your opinion would it be safe to say it is not Paratilapia sp. East Coast? I might be able to track down the original breeder/source, but not positive as they were purchased at a local fish club auction.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree, which is what was throwing me off, the spots are kind of in between, not large, but not small, and not enough of them to be sp. East Coast. This fish is flying solo and I have no plans on breeding it, I was just curious as to the sp. Thanks for the input.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Jose, because it was thought there were only 2 species decades ago when Paratilapia were first imported, many were simply interbred in the same manner as the variations of the Herichthys carpintus complex have been mixed up. So unless you can get a location from a trusted breeder, best to consider it Paratilapia aquarium strain.
Little did we realize back then, that so many variations existed.
I have one from a local LFS I would only allow to spawn with another LFS specimen.

The one above is the LFS variety.
Below a P sp small spot, from a trusted breeder

and a female of the same group

And here's a young P sp andapa from Jose'

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ironically I have only ever seen sp. "small spot" sold in this area, so it will be interesting to see if I can track down the original breeder, and if they can trace these fish back to a specific collection location. Otherwise I agree, aquarium strain would be the most accurate. Thanks for the input Duane.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Funny when I got my 1st group around 1990, the LFS sold them as Madagascar Oscars, I cracked up when I saw them for $5 each. I bought the entire tanks stock.
And whether LFS stock or others, they are all fabulous, and the one in your pic looks great.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Madagascar Oscars, that's hilarious! Were they "small spot"?

In the early 90's Laif DeMason from Old World Exotics was breeding the "small spot" (I believe the East Coast variant) and Pablo Tepoot from New Life Exotic Fish was breeding the "large spot", which appeared to possibly be the sp. Andapa. Back then they were referred to as Paratilapia Magna (large spot) and Paratilapia Minutus. (small spot)

New Life won a first place at the Florida Tropical Fish Farm Association show in 93, and his polleni was chosen for the cover of the June 93 FAMA magazine. (shown below) The same fish from New Life went on to win both a first place award, and Best in Show in 1994. It caused quite the stink with Laif as he felt at the time he was the original importer/breeder of "polleni" from Madagascar, but unlike Pablo he didn't realize (or wouldn't admit) that New Life's polleni were a completely different variant/species.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I had that FAMA mag too, and remember the flap.
I believe the ones I had way back then were "small spot", they spawned but ate the eggs.
Hoping for a better outcome with the current group

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store