HELP!!! Cold Arowana - my heater broke while I was away! HELP!!!!!

PammyV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Princeton
I was away for two days & apparently my heater went on the skitz. The temp in my 200g tank dropped to what is registering 60degF. The water is cold to the touch, and my arowana is sunk, tail up, bobbing on the bottom of the tank... He's barely breathing and moves minimally when the water is agitated. I put in two back up heaters, and have my literal space heater blowing on the tank hoping to heat is slowly, but efficiently.

I changed out 20 gallons of water with warm water to hopefully give it some heat without shock.

All water parameters are within range.

Would the drop in water temp cause this reaction?

I dont want to stress him without cause, but PLEASE what can anyone recommend?? I have had this fish for 4 yrs - three apartments - and raised him out from a baby!!! He is a monster and my best friend and I dont want to loose him!!!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Sounds like your on the right track, warm it up SLOWLY and keep things calm/dim lights etc.

Good luck!

PammyV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Princeton
Is it best to let it and him be with the heat running, or do you think to push him a little? He's in front of the heater now, but I find that when I tapped him a bit (moving the tank around) he tried to level out but just doesnt have the energy.... its like his head is too heavy for the rest of his body. I dont want to stress him, but is it possible it may help getting him moving?

his eyes have a white film, but otherwise his slime coat and color are fine...

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Imo all you can food heat the tank back to normal temp slowly , dim the lights and hope he pulls through , moving him will only cause further stress

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
If hes big enough hopefully he'll pull through once the temps up , his eyes will clear up once hes through the stress

PammyV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Princeton
so the tank is up approx 2degF somewhere about 62degF now... The aro has been trying to move a bit on his own here and there [I think a good sign], but he also seems to be shedding his slime coat a bit now, esp from his tail? Is this a normal response?

PammyV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Princeton
I've only been eying the tank from across the room... no further steps taken other than dimming the lights and closing the curtains...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store