swai fillet

Oscarito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2013
Los angeles
What's up everyone I mistakenly bought swai fillet instead of tilapia and was wondering if I can still feed it to my fish thanks

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Tilapia are usually farmed trash fish that nothing should ever eat. I know nothing of swai, but if it's wild caught, it beats most tilapia by a long shot.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Swai will break apart and make water really messy.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Swai sold in the U.S. is typically the same iridescent shark we buy in the aquarium stores, or one of its close relatives.

It should be okay as a fish in general, but when you're dealing with fish farmed overseas (specifically China) you're not dealing with an FDA certified product. It used to be that the FDA would send food back that didn't meet their standards....but then China "politely" reminded our government that we owe them a ton of money. So now our imported seafood just has to meet the exporting country's standards.

In short, it should be fine for your fish as long as they find it palatable. But take it from me, (a totally biased fish-farmer) you should look into buying stuff farmed in America. You're not only doing yourself a favor in terms of possible antibiotics and contaminants, but these "river-farmed fish" are also attributed to polluted water bodies overseas. It's not like they employ recirculating aquaculture systems, they just throw a bunch of "swai", chemicals, and fish food in the rivers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store