Florida gar has broken jaw

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
My Florida gar has a broken jaw on one side of his mouth towards the font of his face,you can actually see the broken bone he still can open and close his mouth. MY question is do you think the bone can heal by itself or do you need to do something else he is about 15 inches long and he got into a fight with my gator gar, they have been in the same tank a 420 gallon and this happened a few days ago the gator gar is 24 inches long. Do not really want to set up new tank for Florida gar already moved a lot of fish that the gator was messing with.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
My Florida gar has a broken jaw on one side of his mouth towards the font of his face,you can actually see the broken bone he still can open and close his mouth. MY question is do you think the bone can heal by itself or do you need to do something else he is about 15 inches long and he got into a fight with my gator gar, they have been in the same tank a 420 gallon and this happened a few days ago the gator gar is 24 inches long. Do not really want to set up new tank for Florida gar already moved a lot of fish that the gator was messing with.
Well, maybe you should remove the Alligator Gar if he disrupts the rest of your fish? I think Alligators are best kept alone in my opinion, not because of their needs but because of their aggression. Also, even though I have not owned a gar which had a broken jaw, I had one with a broken back and it healed itself in 24 hours (but it will need to be housed alone so it is not disturbed). Maybe you could talk to your LFS to see if they have had any experience with the issue? That's what I usually do when I'm concerned with my fish.

Merkin

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2014
Kingston,Ontario,Canada
Sorry to hear about your problem but deffinately keep the gar separate!!!!! He will eat ANYTHING that he thinks fits in his mouth. Mine ate 1 A. silver, Clown knife, 2 giant plekkos, dozens of 10 inch gold fish. They are an extreme predator treat tm that way and you wil have no problems. You are also gonna need a a min. tank of 2000 gallons fr him when he grows up.Good luck with your monster!

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Sorry to hear about your problem but deffinately keep the gar separate!!!!! He will eat ANYTHING that he thinks fits in his mouth. Mine ate 1 A. silver, Clown knife, 2 giant plekkos, dozens of 10 inch gold fish. They are an extreme predator treat tm that way and you wil have no problems. You are also gonna need a a min. tank of 2000 gallons fr him when he grows up.Good luck with your monster!
i agree.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
The gar with the broken jaw died but I havent had any more problems since then. I got him off of feeding live and now he eats like a pig he grew about two inches since the last time I posted and he doubled in girth,I feel confident that he mellowed out a lot he does not chase any more. I am looking to get a bowfin to grow out to put in with him when it gets about 12 inches long,just ordered it today its suppose to be 5 to 6 inches long expect it to take about a year till it gets that large keep you posted how things work out. Thanks for the advice Noel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store