Arowana opening mouth and shaking head during water change

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
Doing a big water change and changed the substrate and while filling the tank he started opening his mouth and shaking his head I've never seen him do this before should I be worried?

Sent from my M9200 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
He stopped but he still is freaking out a bit I guess it was all the action in the tank today

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
The Jardini I had used to do that too. Look like he was having seizures. I saw somewhere that symptoms like that could be due to head trauma, perhaps from the fish hitting the tank or lid too hard when scared.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
Hmm yeah that's a possibility he has jumped before but he has only done it this once and he isn't doing it anymore

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My jardini always did it too I guessed it was just stretching its jaw , used to shake its head side to side after eating also like it was forcing food down inside himself

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Do you have city water? My big Jar does that with water changes as i think its a reaction to the chlorine before prime has a chance to circulate. Never seemed to harm him, just annoy him first the first couple minutes of re-filling.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Could be a distress pose. I have heard that sharks do that when they are distressed. It could be the fighting stance of the arowana. It might be getting ready to defend.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Big water changes result in changing water parameters I.e nitrate reduction, temp swing, mineral replacement etc. This is a pretty normal reaction from a fish especially if the temp isn't matched.

What you can do is buy a infared thermometer and match the incoming water to that of the tanks temperature, half dose prime right before you start filling and the rest when its 2/3 full and you can make a DIY carbon filter out of a water bottle to help dechlor it.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

BongDini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2013
Somewhere
It is the arowana's reaction, "Seems something is different about the water..."
^ got it right

this is how arowanas behave when a larger water change is done and it's significantly more obvious to the occupants. its their way of adjusting to the water and stuff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store