What carpet plants are good?

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I have a 40g tank that I turned into a community tank yesterday but I have always HATED fake plants.I want to get some sort of pretty carpet plant that with cover the entire bottom, I don't care if I have to do a lot of cuttings.I was going towards java moss but that grows SO SLOW!I want to order the plants off of amazon or ebay.How fast does dwarf baby tears grow, how big??:nilly:

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
It grows relatively quickly once settled in, but requires pretty strong light and co2 to really carpet thickly. Ofcourse if you didnt have anything in the tank, you could grow it emersed and it would speed up the process a lot but it doesnt sound like thats an option

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I have the tank next to a window.There is barely any gravel but I am getting rid of it and getting something else so you tell me what substrate I need.I don't want to get co2 and I can pick up some of those nutrients spikes, I know about photosynthetically active radiation meters, but I don't have a par meter, how much are they?I have been in fish for a few years so don't expect me to be a clueless.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Most carpet plants need med/high lighting and usually co2. Java moss is the only exception I know of.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I have the tank next to a window.There is barely any gravel but I am getting rid of it and getting something else so you tell me what substrate I need.I don't want to get co2 and I can pick up some of those nutrients spikes, I know about photosynthetically active radiation meters, but I don't have a par meter, how much are they?I have been in fish for a few years so don't expect me to be a clueless.
Fish and plants are very different. Just accept things like that, cause I didn't at first and had to learn the hard way (aka, lots and lots of algae)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I ordered some microsword and dwarf baby tears online for the capet and I am going to use mesh to make a moss wall with java moss.I ordered the microsword, java moss, and baby tears through ebay and amazon.What substrate do I need??

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
you need co2, and a proper substrate (say ADA amazonia or do organic potting mix capped with something)
but HC won't carpet well for you without co2

Also, java moss is kinda meh for making a wall. Xmass moss grows tighter and lends itself better to that. Microswords will work but ONLY if you have at least medium light. You still have not said the size tank or lighting you are planning on using.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I think the lighting is good because its next to a window and I just made a home-made carbon system using a bottle, air bubbler tube, warm water, active yeast, and sugar.I used powdered sugar though, will that still work even though its got corn starch in it??Does the end of the tube just sit at the bottom or are there suspost to be bubbles coming up, its just sitting at the bottom.There is a air tight hole on the cap of the bottle so no co2 escapes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store