gator gar distinguishing features ?

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
Pretty easy once you've seen a few IME. I look at the snout. It's wider and shorter, more robust than other gar. They're generally just "meaner" looking. Pattern helps too, but the snout is my dead giveaway.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
thanks for the reply and info.

ive checked loads of pics but i cant say im much wiser. i think just that the alligator gars seem to be quite rare suggests that its unlikely to find one but that doesnt help positive id of individuals.

i can see the obvious differences when the fish are a bit bigger andthe shortnose seems to be quite similar to the alligator even when larger but similar size.

that said im still finding it difficult to id the very young fish. possibly because the pictures of the fish ive seen are wrongly id'd in the first place.

a good source with decent pics of juveniles side by side would be helpful if anyone knows of a good one.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
They arent very rare around here and pretty easy to tell in person, snout and body shape usually fatter for size make id relatively easy

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They are not rare - it's just that suppliers pass Floridas off as gators, so basically the gators are being sent to other places instead.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
thanks for the replys. its a shame most of the links in the stickys are broken as it looks like there was some good info on there.

i just read that young alligator gars have a white stripe down their back which i though was interesting but now im wondering if thats correct as nobody has mentioned it and it seems like a pretty distinguishing feature if it is ?

i also read that they are good eating so maybe you just cant loose regardless of what gar you get :D ;)

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Hahaha last line got me in trouble for cracking up at work.
lol. ya muppet :D

the reason i thought they were rare was because i read a few articles saying they had been over fished for food and/or eradication

" Distribution, Abundance, History, and Conservation
Alligator gar historically inhabited waters and tributaries throughout the Mississippi River Valley from Ohio to Illinois and downstream into the estuary waters of the Gulf of Mexico. They may have even existed as far north as Iowa and as far west as Kansas and Nebraska. Currently known populations exist only in the lower Mississippi River Valley from Oklahoma to the west, Arkansas to the north, Texas and portions of Mexico to the south, and east to Florida.

In addition to a diminished range, their numbers have also substantially decreased over the past 50 years. Alligator gar were once abundant in many watersheds but are now difficult to find. There are many reasons being considered for their decline including habitat loss resulting from navigation and flood control alteration of streams and flood plains to over-harvesting. They were considered in some places a highly sought after sportfish, but mostly they were considered a "trash fish" and were targeted for eradication or control. Historical pictures, accounts, and fishermen all support the substantial decline of the species. Studies in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana have shown that the alligator gar is very susceptible to overfishing. It has been classified as rare in Missouri, threatened in Illinois, and endangered in Arkansas, Kentucky, and is soon to be in Tennessee. "

(info taken from here : http://www.fws.gov/warmsprings/fishhatchery/species/alligatorgar.html )

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Wild monster gator gars are rare but in the hobby they arent difficult to find. Most lfs I visit have them for sale which is foolish imo as few people can house them long term

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store