VERY WORRIED!!!

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Both of my stingrays are moving back and forth vigorously on the crushed coral substrate. It appears as if they are scratching, as if they have an internal parasite, should I be alarmed of is this nothing? And if so, what should I treat the stingrays with? I live in Thailand so brands or types of medication which are common in the U.S. do not exist here and are known under different names. Could anyone please recommend a parasite which may be attacking them or a recommended treatment?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Get them off that crushed coral substrate!! How long they been on that?
Both of my stingrays are moving back and forth vigorously on the crushed coral substrate. It appears as if they are scratching, as if they have an internal parasite, should I be alarmed of is this nothing? And if so, what should I treat the stingrays with? I live in Thailand so brands or types of medication which are common in the U.S. do not exist here and are known under different names. Could anyone please recommend a parasite which may be attacking them or a recommended treatment?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
yea crushed coral can skyrocket your TDS (total disolved salts) and needs to be washed very thoroughly if you are going to use it in a sump as a PH buffer, I have never heard of it being used as a substrate. Rays don't like salt too much as it is, maybe thats the issue, or maybe its sharp? Just to be clear, we are not talking about salt-water rays are we?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
The main point here that nobody fully said is that crushed coral will and can cut the stingrays belly. Remove all substrate from the tank and look at their bellies and see if it's red or cut. Pics help most to see what your using.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
What were the odds for op naming the exact subtrate in first post!

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Pics pics pics. And get rid of that nasty coral!

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquatic Creatures

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
Get rid of the crushed coral! That is probably what your problem is. Imagine rubbing your feet back and forth on crushed coral non stopped... I've always been very happy with pool filter sand.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store