Regional Workshop on Sharks

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Link to web page and PDFs with awesome illustrations and descriptions.
http://www.oas.org/en/sedi/dsd/biodiversity/WHMSI/SharkEvent .asp

Date: December 2-4, 2013
Place: Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
More than 70 participants representing 28 countries from Latin America and the Caribbean gathered in Recife, Brazil, from 2 to 4 December to participate in a workshop focused on the implementation of new measures for international trade of five shark species, adopted by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
Experts covered a range of legal, administrative and scientific topics at the workshop, based on concrete needs previously identified by countries. Specifically, the workshop provided information on and demonstrated the use of tools and techniques that will help advance identification of sharks, improve data collection and data reporting on shark catch in the region, and enhance the tracking of shark specimens in trade. Participants were provided with real-life examples of how CITES is implemented for several currently listed species and demonstrated how a chain of custody can be established to monitor shark products from the point of harvest to the point of export.
The workshop also helped to increase awareness of international measures related to shark conservation and management. Participants identified regional needs and next steps for implementing the CITES shark listings in Latin American and Caribbean countries. Scientific surveys on the status of sharks species, domestic legislation, harmonization of Customs codes for trade in sharks and technology transfer for DNA testing, were among the priorities mentioned. These priority areas are expected to help guide future activities leading up to the September 2014 effective date. To read the complete press release please click here

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
This sounds very informative. Did you go? Is there a follow up confrence? Share any confrences and seminars you hear of?

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
This sounds very informative. Did you go? Is there a follow up confrence? Share any confrences and seminars you hear of?
No I did not. I frequent NOAA website and stumbled upon this. I'm a sucker for illustrations and info in this format. Bummer it's mostly in Spanish, but most can get by with only basic translation needed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store