painting stand questions

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
First off I am not handy at all so thank you for all the input:

I have wood 46g bow front stand that is pretty beat up. I am thinking about picking up a new 46g tank and setting this back up. It would go in my living room so I want it to look nice and have the stand and tank match. I have read online that I can use krylon fusion to paint the plastic trim on the tank. If I want to go with a dark cherry type wood color can I use the same krylon fusion to paint the stand? If so do I just sand the tank and then apply a few layers of krylon fusion and sand in between each layer? will this look good? Also do I have to seal it?

thanks

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
if your talking about the stand i would give it a light sanding then spray paint with krylon fusion don't need to sand after each coat same applies for the trim, if your talking about the actual glass just paint it don't sand

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
if your talking about the stand i would give it a light sanding then spray paint with krylon fusion don't need to sand after each coat same applies for the trim, if your talking about the actual glass just paint it don't sand
thanks. i am talking about the plastic trim and wooden stand. I will paint the back of the tank black most likely, but that i have done many times before

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
also do I need to prime the trim and stand first?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
I painted the plastic trim on my stand black to match the stand. It looks OK, but the black paint on the plastic trim comes out looking very shiny and plastic-y. Its super obvious that its just spraypainted plastic.

That's why from now on I refuse to use plastic trim. The real wood trim is only marginally more expensive, and you get MUCH better results.

Seeing as how you've already got the plastic trim, go ahead. You don't really need a lot of sanding and coats or anything fancy with kyrlon on plastic. 2-3 light coats is as good as anything, unless you're like trying to do a certain type of texture or something.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
i had no idea you could get real wood trim. Do you mean the plastic trim that looks like wood grain or you have actual wood trim?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
i had no idea you could get real wood trim. Do you mean the plastic trim that looks like wood grain or you have actual wood trim?
Sure you can. They sell several varieties at hardware stores like Home Depot. You can even buy hardwood trim, although it gets expensive. After building my first major woodworking undertaking that used trim (my tank stand) and I used fake trim, I swore to never use it again. The real wood trim also cuts better, and you can sand and stain it to match whatever you're making.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American...d-Pine-Ply-Cap-Panel-Moulding-292-8/203910964

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Sure you can. They sell several varieties at hardware stores like Home Depot. You can even buy hardwood trim, although it gets expensive. After building my first major woodworking undertaking that used trim (my tank stand) and I used fake trim, I swore to never use it again. The real wood trim also cuts better, and you can sand and stain it to match whatever you're making.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/American...d-Pine-Ply-Cap-Panel-Moulding-292-8/203910964
oh, ok you are buying your own wood trim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store