Breeding food for my fish

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Hello guys,

Under my tank I'm setting up 3 smaller tanks that will be used to raise feeders ( frogs, crickets and guppies ).

I understand some people may think less of me for doing this but I'm not doing this for fun, I'm just trying to provide my arowana with the most natural and complete diet I can!

I have no need to breed earthworms and centopies because my garden assures me and endless supply ( this is no overstatement!! ).

Does anyone has this type of practice with the same animals? Or some feedback on how to do it properly?

- housing
- feeding

I humbly ask all of you to contribute to this thread so I can learn and put it to good use. :feedback:

Thank you very much

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
I've never bred frogs nor feed them to my fish. My local pet store always has crickets, and anykind of livebearers (like guppies) are the easiest fish to breed so you'll be fine there. Just know that the guppies will probably produce fry faster than your fish will consume them. Also know that it's good to Madge a staple food a good outlet brand and then use all the live foods as treats/supplements. But that's just me.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I went the platy route and it took too long so then I went the guppy route and it was useless.. I started with 15 males and 45 females in a 50 gallon and left them to breed for a couple months. For me they couldnt reproduce fast enough, I was losing fry from getting sucked into the filters, dieing from natural causes (weak fry) but mainly parents eating them. First couple months it was decent, but your going to need at lest 100 guppies to get a nice colony started, my jar would eat atlest 20 and her stomach wouldnt even poke out while two blood worm cubes made her belly nice and fat.

For guppies to be viable and have "enough" or a strong enough colony your going to need a 75 gallon with atlest 100 guppies and let them sit and breed for a couple months. There really tiny and dont offer much... I got mine from a guy on craigslist for free. He had around 300 in a 30 gallon and wanted to thin out a bit. I wouldnt recommend it but if you want to invest the time, effort, money, and energy make sure to ask on craigs. I was willing to buy them but so many people offered me free guppies.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Best way to do this IME is

Go to various LFS, buy all the most pregnant (fat w/ dark gravid spot) mollies, platys, guppys etc and just let them drop their fry in a fry only tank (divide it so the parents have no interaction) and make sure to have a java moss ball for them to chew on/ feel secure in. Also make sure your flow isn't too powerful, if you finda bunch of dead fry on your filter and params are fine its too strong. That's gotten me the best results. Then when the fry got big enough they went in the 30 w/ my grow outs that couldn't eat them, where they gained that other inch to be fed to my red wolf. Doing it for something like a jar or something very large is daunting, I would reccomend learning to breed some sort of fast growing larger fish.. maybe convicts or jewel cichlids

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
I've never bred frogs nor feed them to my fish. My local pet store always has crickets, and anykind of livebearers (like guppies) are the easiest fish to breed so you'll be fine there. Just know that the guppies will probably produce fry faster than your fish will consume them. Also know that it's good to Madge a staple food a good outlet brand and then use all the live foods as treats/supplements. But that's just me.
Thanks! The guppy colony is already established. And growing. My main concern is with the crickets and the frogs, can't find anyone who has bred them.

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Best way to do this IME is

Go to various LFS, buy all the most pregnant (fat w/ dark gravid spot) mollies, platys, guppys etc and just let them drop their fry in a fry only tank (divide it so the parents have no interaction) and make sure to have a java moss ball for them to chew on/ feel secure in. Also make sure your flow isn't too powerful, if you finda bunch of dead fry on your filter and params are fine its too strong. That's gotten me the best results. Then when the fry got big enough they went in the 30 w/ my grow outs that couldn't eat them, where they gained that other inch to be fed to my red wolf. Doing it for something like a jar or something very large is daunting, I would reccomend learning to breed some sort of fast growing larger fish.. maybe convicts or jewel cichlids

Thanks! I already have the guppy colony established and growing. As I said in the upper post, my main concern and setback is the lack of info on the frogs and crickets. But I'll research that, maybe some kribensis!

thanks again

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
I have had lots of success breeding convicts. My dovii loves them! Good luck

Sent from my SPH-M830 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Oh yeah just in case you need more fry its a good way to get em faster, then just feed the extra adult too lol

African clawed frogs breed at about 4 inch I've been told, producing a bunch of eggs, as far as I know its not hard to get em breeding, just make sure to get a pair (I would get like 4). I've considered it for my bichirs since it would be a natural snack but haven't been able to find them large enough and haven't wanted to grow em out when my fish are on pellet now anyway

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Diogo,

Guppies are just a treat to arowanas (unless you´re talking about a very young one). They´re so small for them the aros don´t care.
They mat eat a few from time to time "just because" but it´s clearly insufficient as a staple diet.
I believe the faster you can put your (future) aro in pellets + frozen the best it is for it. To give her a treat from time to time (a frog, for instance), you don´t have to breed them

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
I thank you all!

All your our coments put things in a different perspective.
Guess I'll convert the other tanks in some other thing.

This is why I like to post things while it's still an idea, this way I can rethink and replan accordingly.
I thank all of you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store