African Biotope Setup- Help me plan it! (image heavy)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for all of the feedback in discussing whether or not I should do the African biotope!

Because of the large amount of feedback that I have received from all of you, this is my plan. I've found that a lot of the fish in which I had an interest are actually African. These are the fish that I'm planning to go with. Let me outline my plan below...

First, the tank.

The tank is a 510 gallon DIY plywood tank. I might start the fish off in my 150 as I suspect that the 510 would be too large for a bunch of baby fish, but the ultimate goal is the 510. The 510 has a 4x8 footprint and is 30 inches tall. On the right side will be a giant root ball which spans the entire right side of the tank. On the left will be a much smaller root ball that is still attached to its tree. The substrate will be white sand- probably pool filter sand. I will have many sticks and things on the bottom of the tank. The ultimate goal is a realistic blackwater look (so rift lake fish are out of the question). There will be some low profile 3D backgrounds from Designs by Nature on the tank. There will also be appropriate, high quality fake plants near the surface to round out the illusion. Right now the tank is in storage from my recent move. I should have all of my crap in a week or two and I'll post pics of the root balls then.

For filtration, I have a Wlim Bioglass 16 that will serve as my primary water polisher and as additional bio. I have a 150 gallon stock tank that I am going to use as either a sump or a fluidized bed filter. I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but one thing is for sure: I should have enough filtration between those two things to allow for a MAJOR bio load.

Now, on to the part that everyone cares about: the fish.

The King of the tank will be my Hydrocynus brevis, Billy Badass.

billy20140111e.jpg

The rest of the stock will be African as well. My stocklist rounds out as follows :

View attachment 984756

s afrowana.jpg

View attachment 986220

s paratilapia polenni.jpgs paratilapia polenni.jpg

s Ctenopoma.jpgs Ctenopoma.jpgs Ctenopoma.jpgs Ctenopoma.jpgs Ctenopoma.jpg

s african butterfly.jpgs african butterfly.jpgs african butterfly.jpg

b fire eel.jpg

b poly buettikoferi.jpg

b poly ornate.jpg

b poly palmas palmas.jpg

b poly palmas polli.jpg

View attachment 985230

(All polys courtesy of Mike Sema of Jurassic Aquatics. They're who I'm getting the fish from anyway.)

The fish listed above are my for-sure list of fish: BATF, Afrowana, edit: Indo-Pac tarpon, P. polenni x2, leopard Ctenopoma x6, African butterfly x 3, fire eel, buettikoferi, ornate, Palmas palmas, Palmas polli, edit: Giraffe cat. I also intend to have a few Congo tetras as dithers. I'm open to suggestions for smallish, expendable dithers.

Below are fish that I'm considering, but haven't decided on for sure. I would like input on these fish from people who may have worked with them.

Papyrocranus afer
s p afer.jpg
Are these guys really as bad as they're made out to be? Would they work well with the above? Is it true that they actually behave like an arowana? I really love the look of these guys, but if they're the demons they're made out to be, I'm going to steer clear and just get a brown knife.

Tiger Scat x3
s tiger scat.jpgs tiger scat.jpgs tiger scat.jpg
Aside from the obvious problem of being a SERIOUS pita to acquire, how aggressive are these? Does anyone ACTUALLY have any firsthand experience? I've read reports that they're nippy and go after eyes. I don't want to risk that with Billy.

FISH I WOULD LIKE YOUR HELP WITH: MORMYRIDS, catfish and dithers. I would like to have one largish catfish for this tank. Preferably something that isn't blah colored. Failing that, please suggest some interesting Synos; nothing that looks like a swimming turd please. I like unusual oddball fish. The idea of a large catfish and some synos isn't mutually exclusive. I'm willing to do both.

For dithers, thus far I'm planning to have a school of Congo tetras. I'm not stuck on this as an exclusive plan. Cheap, small, readily available African cichlids would make great filler fish I think, but I'm not a cichlid guy so I don't know what would work. For dithers, I'd like to keep them at about 4" or so as adults.

Finally, no African oddball tank is complete without a mormyrid. I desperately want to have a mormyrid in this tank, but it seems to me that there are three options: Cornish jacks, Aba Abas and elephant nose fish. Two get WAY bigger than I want and the elephant nose seems as though it wouldn't be able to compete with the planned stock. I'm going to continue to research this on my own, but if someone who has some familiarity with this subject can steer me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

billy20140111e.jpg

s afrowana.jpg

s paratilapia polenni.jpg

s Ctenopoma.jpg

s african butterfly.jpg

b fire eel.jpg

b poly buettikoferi.jpg

b poly ornate.jpg

b poly palmas palmas.jpg

b poly palmas polli.jpg

s p afer.jpg

s tiger scat.jpg

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
glad to see you picked one of the madagascar cichlids i mentioned! I would still look to do a group of Pinstripe dambas esp if you cant get the scats.

Dithers Alestes tetras are way cool and get a bit bigger then congos, as far as cats... Aluminum cats are awesome or a big giraffe cat.

I have no info on morm, other then an Aba would kill everything!! I do have a carapo knife in my 500 that plays nice.

oh and in a 510 i would do like 15 african butterfly fish.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I don't have much advice or experience regarding the African selection but I can tell you what catfish. Giraffe catfish ftw. Active, friendly, cool pattern and you'll never have to vacuum your substrate. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
glad to see you picked one of the madagascar cichlids i mentioned! I would still look to do a group of Pinstripe dambas esp if you cant get the scats.

Dithers Alestes tetras are way cool and get a bit bigger then congos, as far as cats... Aluminum cats are awesome or a big giraffe cat.

I have no info on morm, other then an Aba would kill everything!! I do have a carapo knife in my 500 that plays nice.

oh and in a 510 i would do like 15 african butterfly fish.
What is the behavior of the dambas like? In the scats, or whatever I choose in lieu of them, I'm looking for a fish that can function as an African analog of a large silver dollar. From what I understand, giraffe cats get bigger than what I'm looking for; I'd like the big cat to stay at or under 2'. Aluminum cats are an option, but I'm hoping for something a little more visually stimulating. If nothing more interesting comes along one would certainly work. I do rather like their congener C. furcatus.

I expect that my current planned stock is probably a LOT less than I could get away with in my big old tank. This is just a start. :)

EDIT-

'Giraffe cat' appears to be a name applied to a group of fish, not just THE giraffe cat. This bears further investigation...

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Dambas are very un-cichlid like, they are always on the move + need to be in a group to create a social hierarchy. The true african equivelant of sd would be monos but i have never had luck keeping them in straight fresh to an older age.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
What I have seen with Papyrocranus Afer is not all that bad at all. We housed them with small polypterus like P.palmas palmas and P.weeksii with out a problem but 1 to a tank as they generally do not like each other at all. I think you would be fine with 1 in that 510. They are a very interesting fish. There are a few different types of Giraffe cats Auchenoglanis the most common one we find are the Occidentalis there are a few different forms but hardly imported. I would really like to find A. Biscutatus and A.senegali .

I do not have 1st hand exp with them but the Isichthys henryi and Mormyrops longirostris would be a cool addition

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
First off, do you plan on putting Dottie in the tank as well? She would be such a cool addition to the tank as well! Even though she's not African, I feel you should make an exception fir her :)

As for the aba aba. I too have heard that they do not commune well once they hit about 18", but so far, mine has actually been the least aggressive fish I have. It is currently about 14" and I recently moved it into my 150 because it kept getting attacked by my 6-7" scombs and since it keeps trying to take its hiding spot back from Azaron, my HLG, it's been getting attacked by him as well. Now in my 150, it isn't the smallest fish but it is the calmest. It even joins my large polys in their pile ups and hangs out with them under the driftwood. We'll see how it continues to go once it hits the 18" mark but so far, the only aggression that There's evidence of are from my armatus. When they get too hungry, They attack the aba so it's all scarred off. It's tough though. Currently it has a minor gash next to its head and it seems unphased by it.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Dambas are very un-cichlid like, they are always on the move + need to be in a group to create a social hierarchy. The true african equivelant of sd would be monos but i have never had luck keeping them in straight fresh to an older age.
Good to know! I'm liking these more and more. How rare and/or expensive are they? There isn't much in the way of info on them online.

What I have seen with Papyrocranus Afer is not all that bad at all. We housed them with small polypterus like P.palmas palmas and P.weeksii with out a problem but 1 to a tank as they generally do not like each other at all. I think you would be fine with 1 in that 510. They are a very interesting fish. There are a few different types of Giraffe cats Auchenoglanis the most common one we find are the Occidentalis there are a few different forms but hardly imported. I would really like to find A. Biscutatus and A.senegali .

I do not have 1st hand exp with them but the Isichthys henryi and Mormyrops longirostris would be a cool addition

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Good to know on the pom pom knife! I love those fish and really want to add one. I'm gonna give it a try. :)

First off, do you plan on putting Dottie in the tank as well? She would be such a cool addition to the tank as well! Even though she's not African, I feel you should make an exception fir her :)

As for the aba aba. I too have heard that they do not commune well once they hit about 18", but so far, mine has actually been the least aggressive fish I have. It is currently about 14" and I recently moved it into my 150 because it kept getting attacked by my 6-7" scombs and since it keeps trying to take its hiding spot back from Azaron, my HLG, it's been getting attacked by him as well. Now in my 150, it isn't the smallest fish but it is the calmest. It even joins my large polys in their pile ups and hangs out with them under the driftwood. We'll see how it continues to go once it hits the 18" mark but so far, the only aggression that There's evidence of are from my armatus. When they get too hungry, They attack the aba so it's all scarred off. It's tough though. Currently it has a minor gash next to its head and it seems unphased by it.

I don't think I'm gonna keep Dottie in this tank. I want to keep it as accurate as possible and she would completely blow the immersion.

Your thoughts on the aba aba are definitely interesting to me. I'd love to have one of those or a Cornish Jack in my African setup. I suppose this warrants further investigation...

Thus far, researching this project has been extremely fun and interesting. :thumbsup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store