Mealworm farming vs buying in bulk.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Hi. I found out all my fish LOVE meal worms and wanted to know would it be smart to just breed them or just buy in bulk? I found sites selling 500+ counts for 5 bucks. I know i can keep them in cold for months. Also, i have friends that i can ship too if i farm them. Both ideas sounds good cuz local fish stores sell 100ct container dor 4 bucks.

Also my hobby isn't that big right now maybe 2 fish in my house and 10 more at my friends. Im testing waters with my Jardini to see if hes friendly to other fish.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Libpete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
England
They are easy to farm, check out youtube for some videos. Just a couple of tubs really and your good to go.

Cichlidpirate

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
New Jersey
I did "Superworms" for my lizards a few years back and my fish loved them too, if I had to choose, superworms are easier to keep compared to meal worms

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Thanks. Im waiting for my stock to get bigger cuz most sites are asking for 5k plus for orders... Eek i might just feed them not farm for now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Farm them! Meal worms are the easiest things to farm.

Ive raised Crickets, various types of cockroaches, super worms and meal worms , of them all meal worms are the easiest. Roaches are also great and easy to breed, but they can escape...and some areas have legal issues, (also my GF has banned them from the home, but is ok with the meal worm farm lol0

Just stick 100 in a tub with 3" of oatmeal, use a piece of carrot or potato as a water source and switch it out as it dries. Over the years i've used everything from coffee tins in a closet to my current 4 drawer dresser setup, as long as the container is 5-6" deep and smooth sides, if the meal worms cannot climb it then the Beatles cannot either and the Beatles are flightless.

If kept warm you'll start to see worms transform within a couple weeks and just as quickly Beatles hatch. each beetle lays 4-500 eggs, So do the if you dont harvest until the second generation your literally going to have 50,000 meal worms growing, many of which will morph into Beatles before they get used!

If buying I get super worms they cost more per 1000 but are much larger insects so the 1000 lasts twice as long. They can also be farmed, but takes a bit more attention /care and what i like most with meal worms is that I Dont have to do ANYTHING and they multiply lol

Hope that helps

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Will freeze dried mealworms work for you? I've used them before & my fish loved them! Cheap to buy too...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store