Simplest way to cycle a tank for beginners

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
This question isn't really for me but more for my customers. I work at a LFS and people new to fish-keeping come in frequently. So the question with cycling comes up quite often, of course. Trying to explain how to cycle a tank is like speaking another language to them and it's pretty obvious with the look of overwhelm on their faces. I try to explain the process and options to them as simply as possible and even offer to test their water weekly to tell them where they're at in their cycle.

So here's my question; what is the most SIMPLE way to do a fish-less cycle in your opinions? I personally know how to cycle a tank without fish and have done quite a few myself, but the moment I start trying to explain adding bacteria and ammonia, they're eyes glaze over and they don't get it. SO, I'd love to hear if any of you have reasonable solutions for beginners...being aware that some of these people want fast results with little work. My job is essentially trying to get them to do as much of the "right thing" as possible and hope they listen.

We sell Nitromax and Stability at my work. I have personal experience with Stability and actually really like the product, occasionally adding it into my established tanks a few times a year still. There are a few other products, but these would be the two products I could recommend since I've had customers getting good results with Nitromax as well. Is it possible to cycle a tank with JUST one of these bacteria without fussing with ammonia? Adding more than one thing to the tank is usually where I lose them, so just having one step (besides dechlorinator) with an average of 2-3 weeks of cycling would be ideal. Stability mentions being able to add fish at some point to the tank, wouldn't it be more problematic trying to add fish in the middle of a cycle vs. a fish in the beginning acclimating to the spikes?

Cycling always seemed so easy for myself until I had to start trying to simplify and "dummy proof" it for others.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
forget adding the bacteria, just use the ammonia. keep it between 2 and 3 ppm ammonia and let her run till nitrate kicks in and ammonia is gone in no more than 24 hours. do not clean the tank, do not clean the filters.

or can grab a large raw jumbo shrinp, put in a piece of tied off nylone, yes panty hose, drop in the tank and let her run, again do not change the water, do not clean the filters.

6 to 8 weeks to fully cycle, added bacteria does not speed this up tho i am sure allot will say dif.

being at a LFS you might give them some seeded media to speed this up, and make the sale!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
forget adding the bacteria, just use the ammonia. keep it between 2 and 3 ppm ammonia and let her run till nitrate kicks in and ammonia is gone in no more than 24 hours. do not clean the tank, do not clean the filters.

or can grab a large raw jumbo shrinp, put in a piece of tied off nylone, yes panty hose, drop in the tank and let her run, again do not change the water, do not clean the filters.

6 to 8 weeks to fully cycle, added bacteria does not speed this up tho i am sure allot will say dif.

being at a LFS you might give them some seeded media to speed this up, and make the sale!

Hello; This is my thought as well. Give them some mature media in water along with a starter fish or two. If you have access to some sort of mesh bag the media could be placed in the mesh bag and suspended in the new tank setup.
Perhaps make slices of sponge filter material. I did this some time ago. Found a suitable sponge material at wal-mart. I cut it to fit on an old sponge filter base. It is thin enough to have a double layer on one base. I can now peel one layer off if I need to seed a new setup.

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
I have given them some of the gravel from our tanks before, but that's not enough to build a colony enough to cycle it I thought. 6-8 weeks is definitely not a practical thing to have the average/beginner fish keeper, it's hard enough to make them wait 2 weeks as it is. For the experienced keeper, who knows that short cuts aren't always the best sure....but that would be near impossible to try to tell a family and their kid that they can't put their new fish in for 2 months. I don't care about trying to get them to buy unnecessary products, I just care about trying to make it as easy and as fool proof as possible. Ammonia seems to freak people out honestly, I don't understand why. I know these bacteria DO work though, I've cycled with and without Stability, and with and without fish, and there is definitely a difference. I just wonder if just the bacteria would suffice or at least the bacteria and fish flake. I believe I read that nitromax has some sort of way that it maintains in your tank, but I need to sit down and read the label on it again since I don't personally use it at home.

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
[/B]

Hello; This is my thought as well. Give them some mature media in water along with a starter fish or two. If you have access to some sort of mesh bag the media could be placed in the mesh bag and suspended in the new tank setup.
Perhaps make slices of sponge filter material. I did this some time ago. Found a suitable sponge material at wal-mart. I cut it to fit on an old sponge filter base. It is thin enough to have a double layer on one base. I can now peel one layer off if I need to seed a new setup.
hmm, I like this idea actually. Might be better than constantly taking out our gravel for people. I've done the with fish cycle, that's an easy one to explain; but people don't understand that sometimes you can lose a fish during the cycle and they turn around and blame us for the death. It hasn't really happened to me yet working here, but I have worked in plenty of fish stores to know people don't understand that cycling can be tough on even hardy fish.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I have given them some of the gravel from our tanks before, but that's not enough to build a colony enough to cycle it I thought. 6-8 weeks is definitely not a practical thing to have the average/beginner fish keeper, it's hard enough to make them wait 2 weeks as it is. For the experienced keeper, who knows that short cuts aren't always the best sure....but that would be near impossible to try to tell a family and their kid that they can't put their new fish in for 2 months. I don't care about trying to get them to buy unnecessary products, I just care about trying to make it as easy and as fool proof as possible. Ammonia seems to freak people out honestly, I don't understand why. I know these bacteria DO work though, I've cycled with and without Stability, and with and without fish, and there is definitely a difference. I just wonder if just the bacteria would suffice or at least the bacteria and fish flake. I believe I read that nitromax has some sort of way that it maintains in your tank, but I need to sit down and read the label on it again since I don't personally use it at home.
hello; It will depend on the load of ammonia. If they insist on filling the tank with a lot of fish right away, then the bb on a sample of media will not be able to handle that load. A small amount of seeded media should balance a new tank with a few fish. The bb should multiply quickly enough to balance out if new fish are added a few at a time.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nitrating , the good bacteria need oxygen to survive, the stuff in the bottles is a probiotic, while it will help with breaking down solubles and seed the under gravel, its not the kind that you need in your bio filter. Of coarse that's IMHO.

Lauren Deadly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
Orange County
hello; It will depend on the load of ammonia. If they insist on filling the tank with a lot of fish right away, then the bb on a sample of media will not be able to handle that load. A small amount of seeded media should balance a new tank with a few fish. The bb should multiply quickly enough to balance out if new fish are added a few at a time.
right, which is what I normally tell them to do when they start adding fish regardless. Maybe I've been too overly cautious and babying my customers. I don't really ever get any complaints about losses and am always complimented on the care I give them, but I guess I could just recommend established media and just skipping the fish-less cycle altogether. The bacteria products I used advertise that you can add fish immediately, would it suffice if we didn't have any media to give them? Some of our tanks have extra buffers or brackish salts so if someone came on a day I was going through my cleaning fest on the none buffered tanks, I'm concerned the media wouldn't have enough good stuff in it for them.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
can always just give them the tank, with a large bottle of prime and tell them they need to do a 80% water change every other day, prime the new water for the size of the tank every water change till they get a nitrate reading, prime lasts 48 hours and handles up to 4 ppm ammonia and chlorinates, warn them that tank will get cloudy between water changes till the bio filter starts kicking in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store