Strange lump/possibly thickening of slime coat/fungus on my sterbai cory

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi
Just checked over the subtropical tank and found an issue... my sterbai Cory was flashing on the sand, and looking closer there's a weird thing on his side..uploadfromtaptalk1391086338927.jpg parameters are:
Temp: 21
Ammonia: between 0 and 0.25 but that is probably just the test kit being hard to read....
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.4

It's a 100l tank, roughly, other tank mates are two weather loaches, two peppered cories, 4 WCMM, 4 zebra danio and a hill stream loach. Tank was recently moved and the filters changed, just finished the mini cycle about a week ago, did daily water changes through that. Other tank mates are acting normal, however a hill stream loach died for no obvious reason last week. Any ideas?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I'd say your hillstream loach was killed by water params during the mini-cycle. they are sensitive.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Thought it was, so did double daily water changes then. Any idea about the cory?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
nope, sorry. I can't even see what you are referring to in the photo...not that a good image would make me any smarter.
seems like if anyone else could see it, they would comment.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
I'll try and get a better photo tonight, giving him a salt bath in a small tank so will be easier to photograph

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Couldn't get a photo so I'll try and give a description... it's a small discoloured lump near his head, looks like it's on the surface of his head. Treated with a20 minute methylene blue bath this evening at 5x the normal dose with it just being a short bath. I think it's fungus but not sure. I will try and enhance the photo on Photoshop later

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Here's another couple of photos, looks like he has a couple of lesions on his side as well where the blue hasuploadfromtaptalk1391364472461.jpg stuck

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Mines done the same thing! He's in w/ about 5 other Cory's and some guppies, I assumed since it wasn't spreading to the other Cory's (my sterbai is also the biggest Cory) that it may be shedding its slime coat as some catfish do sometimes. I just kept the water clean and it went away

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Ok thank you, that sets my mind at ease that others have had this happen and it be fine. It doesn't appear to have spread to anyone else so I'll just keep an eye on him and keep doing 20% changes every other day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store