Growth rates?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
There are hundreds of stingray posts - but I don't recall EVER seeing anything that mentions their growth rate. How fast do they grow ?

Also - I don't remember seeing anything about how big the different ones grow - Let's make a list of the species, and their sizes, and if any are unique in a certain way, or water requirement, please list it along with that species.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Nice - thanks!

Nothing about growth rate. breeding, sexual maturity, etc. You're right - it should be given a makeover.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
There are hundreds of stingray posts - but I don't recall EVER seeing anything that mentions their growth rate. How fast do they grow ?

Also - I don't remember seeing anything about how big the different ones grow - Let's make a list of the species, and their sizes, and if any are unique in a certain way, or water requirement, please list it along with that species.
there are many many posts that mention growth rate. if you have a specific question for a specific ray or you are having difficulty with one of your own you will get a better response. other than that the question has been asked many times usually because of the tank size required currently and long term and the size regarding sexual maturity.

im suprised its not been asked in the last few pages though as maturity/size is usually one of the main questions.

there are also posts regarding the size of dfferent species. i think the sticky is a good source but again if you have a question or problem regarding a specific ray you will get a better response.

there are also people trying to breed smaller strains of rays at the moment that might not be listed as well as a few who have been fortunate enough to come accross smaller strains that may be a result of one or more factors. these are obviously not included in most information as they are ongoing.

... New England sounds like a nice place. i wonder if its much different from old Engalnd ;-)

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Thanks - nice post!

Could you direct me to some of these "many many posts" that mention growth rate ? I did ask a specific question; that one :)

New England is glorious - and very historical - as is Old England, I am sure! :)

daniel86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
singapore
growth rate can be found if u google. i recall they grow quite fast from pups to 10"-12" in 1 year. then the next year quite slowly. about 14" maybe

'

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Google is ALWAYS right, right ? That's why I asked here, hoping that an actual stingray keeper would chime in.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Its dependant on species, tank size, amount and type of food but a well taken care of ray will grow rather quickly within a year or so usually they are sexually mature

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Thanks - nice post!

Could you direct me to some of these "many many posts" that mention growth rate ? I did ask a specific question; that one :)

New England is glorious - and very historical - as is Old England, I am sure! :)
i think your best bet is to decide which type of ray you want to research and go from there. the sticky says different types of rays grow to different sizes and therfore the growth rate will be different for rays that ultimately grow to a different size as im sure you are aware from other species of fish.

if you pick one type you will get more specific and more relevant reply's.

the sticky is a good place to start if your looking for a small ray too but hystrix, scobina and small marbles are a godo start for small rays and since they dont grow as large as others the growth
rate might look like its slower depending on your point of view. ie inches versus percentage. growth rate is probably the same but it will seem less because the adult size is smaller.

a larger adult size ray might grow 2 inches per xxxx
a smaller adult size ray might only grow 1 incc per xxxx

growth rate is acutally the same as they are growing towards the adult size at the same rate but most people would probably say the growth rate of the smaller adult is slower because it doesnt grow as large as the other.

there are several posts in the last few pages regarding breeing size, claspers and such but a search might bring up more info. but again if you can specify a particular type of ray people will be able to help more.

pic a type and let us know what you find out :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store