Arowana/peacock bass introduction

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
I am going to be getting a 250g tank today, and once its up and running and ready for fish id like to do an arowana/peacock bass combo. The silver aros I can potentially purchase range from 6-8", with that in mind what size peacock bass should I purchase giving the size of the silver aro? I was guessing 3-4" at most so the aro has twice the size difference, but wanged to get other opinions on it before I purchased them. I had planned on purchasing 4 peacock bass, and then one silver aro. Was also considering potentially getting a shovelnose catfish with the mix as well?

Let me know what you guys think.

(P.S. im aware this tank is not going to be adequate enough for a lifetime tank and these fish will be moved to a larger tank once need be.)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
Get about 4" size pBass. The do not bother other fish at that size. Even a 5" size should be okay in my experience. The aro will grow much faster than the pBass anyway.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I had a 4" pbass and. 6" silver arowana together for a while. I noticed some burs around the arowana a gills that I couldn't explain. The scales behind the gills were a little rough as well. One afternoon I was feeding and I saw the pbass try to take the arowana head first. The arow rolled and spun, flipped out of the tank and landed at my feet.
As the previous said, the arowana will grow much quicker - my general guideline would be an arowana that is 1.5x the length of the pbass.
good luck!

Reactions: islandguy11

Ajohnson2882

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2012
nebraska
Thanks guys, the tank I purchased actually was a 220, but it cracked while transporting it so unfortunetly my long wait will be even longer.. ive got to wait for a tank this large to pop up for sale, so I could be waiting a very long time :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
I had a 4" pbass and. 6" silver arowana together for a while. I noticed some burs around the arowana a gills that I couldn't explain. The scales behind the gills were a little rough as well. One afternoon I was feeding and I saw the pbass try to take the arowana head first. The arow rolled and spun, flipped out of the tank and landed at my feet.
As the previous said, the arowana will grow much quicker - my general guideline would be an arowana that is 1.5x the length of the pbass.
good luck!

I had one hb golden arowana which is about 7-8", and I am going to get like 8" peacock bass today. but now I am worry about it. I don't want the Bass attack my aro.

Justin Martin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
I had one hb golden arowana which is about 7-8", and I am going to get like 8" peacock bass today. but now I am worry about it. I don't want the Bass attack my aro.
Did you pull the trigger? If so how did it go?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Was similarly very tempted when at my LFS recently, they had a beautiful ~7" juvi Peacock Bass....

Finally though I decided it's just too much chance for trouble or drama at some point later with soon to be arriving Golden Crossback -- and reading ukgoffer ukgoffer 's post above helped bring me to that conclusion :) even if of course it doesn't always go like that.

Justin Martin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
I thought these guys are supposed to grow fast, having a hard time keeping up with my peacocks in the bigger tank !!!

29E8AB80-5E09-4320-9027-FAA9F897C4E1.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store