Monthly cost of owning an aquarium

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
A lot of people focus on the cost of the tank and initial equipment, a lot of people don't think about the rest. My selfish reason for posting this thread is I'm looking to upgrade and looking for information on cost of owning a large tank (either FW or SW as FOWLR). What I'm looking for is the total cost of owning the tank, namely energy, food, chemicals, etc.

I will go first.

I have a 90 gallon tank with fancy goldfish. It has T5HO lights and LED lights (it was planted, then I gave up so just floating plants), sump, and minimal heater since its not a tropical tank. I put a watt-meter on it for 24 hours to get the average energy use of the tank - that includes the lights, pump, bubbler, and heater, and it worked out to be 230 watts, or 5.5 kWh per day. My energy is 0.075 $/kWh, so that works out to be $12.40 / month. I switch between goldfish connection and omega one food, with treats of blood worms, and spend about $15 / month on food. I use tap water with just a splash of conditioner, and in the last year I haven't even used half of the $20 bottle I bought, so we'll call that $0.50 / month. That's it.

So my total is $27.90 / month to run my 90 gallon fancy goldfish tank.

Please detail yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I am talking total cost, not just electricity. I was not able to find a post, if there is please link.

Food, electric, chemicals (that one more for salt).

Thanks for reading my post before being rude.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I am talking total cost, not just electricity. I was not able to find a post, if there is please link.

Food, electric, chemicals (that one more for salt).

Thanks for reading my post before being rude.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Wasn't trying to be rude I was just trying to save you time. Instead of waiting on answers for topics that have been discussed do a search. In a couple of minutes searching I was able to find at least 5 different threads.

Not all setups are equal. There are so many variables that change from one person's tank to another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store