INFO on UNUSUAL JET BLACK JARDINI SARATOGA

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Ok, now starting a new thread.

I was on a shop an hour away from home and they have this unusual fish. Personal observations so far:
1. Its one of the local natives a saratoga jardini
2. Colour is jet/matt black and copper/red pearling all over the body - black and red combo.
3. About 45cm and been in the shop for more than two years (alone in the tank), perfect fins, scales and body structure. Eye is crystal clear and not blind
4. There are no dark background as the tank is a display window and you can see other shops
5. Gravel is light small riversand
6. Said to be acquired from someone who line bred them to get the BLACK genes (not dyed in black)

I'm looking at acquiring (Im on the edge and just need a push) it but with a hefty price hesitant being just a normal native fish. It's the first time ive heard of one of this being offered for sale here so Im not sure of the market price, but exotic/unusual/rare specimens prices here had skyrocketed and it's more on the highest bidder wins the fish. I would like to know if any of you guys kept it to monster size and if it had kept the colour. Anything else I need to check? Would like to see pics as well so I can compare it. For now, I'm calling it the "poor man's arowana".

let me know your thoughts and feedback.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
That's a nice looking jardini. It looks darker than normal I don't know what the going rate is in Australia but in the states I've seen big ones like that in stores no more than $400 usd. Juvis usually between $100-200

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
That's a nice looking jardini. It looks darker than normal I don't know what the going rate is in Australia but in the states I've seen big ones like that in stores no more than $400 usd. Juvis usually between $100-200
Same price for regular jardinis. Being a black gene jardini and i think a one of fish. Starting bid is set at $1k with collectors out there - highest bidder gets the fish (money talks here sad to say).

Elbling0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2013
Silent Hill
Same price for regular jardinis. Being a black gene jardini and i think a one of fish. Starting bid is set at $1k with collectors out there - highest bidder gets the fish (money talks here sad to say).
Oh yeah, all money money. I heard it sold for 1200, could of been some chinese whispers though. Best to ring up shane himself (I think thats what his name was dont remember the name of the store.) I was really keen but just havent got the tank setup yet. Were you going to put it in your big tank if you were to acquire it?

lyzheng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2012
Amazon
Could also be known as the batik jardini, the patterns or more than usual pearl spots. It may also have to do with collection point as jardini are not bred much in captivity. Whatever the reason, if you are really into arowanas, especially jardini and leichardti, you should really consider getting it. So far, this only the 2nd one I've seen on here. Just beautiful!!!! I use to collect jardinies, had around 5 different colored ones. I had a dark one but it was still small and it hardly had any pearls. The eyes were crystal clear with one streak of pearl on each side of the iris. Jardinies can come in many, many different colors!

Someone here has this fish.

[video=youtube;KDSkdJo5z6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDSkdJo5z6w[/video]

Also check out this jardini, truly ONE OF A KIND!!

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/angler-s-weird-goose-creek-catch

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
What I stunning jar , I want it ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Thats a very nice "batik saratoga" lyzheng. The batik pattern is similar to the fish on the shop - very unique. I have seen a green arowana and a redtail golden arowana and can say, this black gene native can be competing with them as to appearance/quality. Does the batik changes when it grows old or keep the colour? Being more than two years in the shop, the "poor man's arowana" had kept the deep black/red colour morph so it's not dyed or background related.

The goldfish coloured saratoga is nice to have as well, but maybe a ones in a blue moon fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store