Bifuran for Pop-Eye

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
Hi

I have a friend who has a datnoid with popeye. We tried pimafix + aquarium salt for couple days with no change. We tried epsom salt on the whole tank for couple days. We just did two days of epsom bath dip (30min each). Still no improvement. I've read you guys use erthyromycin, but we dont want it to crash the whole tank's nitrifying bacteria , and we cant really afford treating whole 300something gallons ( it won't eat the gel-formed one....) . We have some bifuran lying around , is that going to do anything ?

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
Did a few water changes ... Not getting worse but not getting better either . Doesn't seem like bifuran is helping much . I added normal salt and pimafix in there for now . . What else do u guys use for pop eye for big tanks with other fish in it when u don't have another hospital tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use the in a bath of erthyromycin twice a day for 1 hr a day in a bucket of aquarium water if you have no other option or set up tupperwear container as a temp hospital tank. Furan isn't the correct med for this.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
Okay we just picked up some of those API erthyromycin ... it says 1pack for 10gallon (and theres 10pack).... But if we are using it as a bath ( in a 15-20g tupperware) , are we suppose to use that same dosage or could it be a higher concentration?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Erthyromycin can be used at double dosage in a bath.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Aquanero,

Can you use the same Erythromycin bath each time? Or do you have to make a new bath everyday? How many days is needed for such a treatment?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
New bath water mixed every day. 5 days sould get results.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
I couldn't bath it everyday as I had to go out of town last week.... but I am seeing improvements after several nonconsecutive days of treatments, only once a day not twice... Since the fish is huge and has just recovered from its bladder issue, it is now eating and strong so we have to watch it for the hour long treatment or else it jumps out of the tub... I'm actually starting to worry if its gonna stress it out even more when netting it in and out everyday to continue the treatment....

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It is somewhat stressful for the fish the down side is you don't kill the infection if you don't treat it. It is up to you how best to proceed I can't see the fish so you have to use your best judgment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store