500 Gallon Pump/Sump Design?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm planning on a 96x40x30 custom acrylic tank soon. This will be my first big tank. I want to do a sump like Jc1119's 300 Gallon setup (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...23425-300-gallon-SA-CE-community-build-thread!!). I'd like it to be open, no chambers, easy to clean, etc. I'm thinking an 18 inch high glass aquarium, with the pond boxes and pond matrix. I want to grow plants and use it as a hospital tank for beat up fish if needed. Is it big enough for that? And I'd need 6-8 times turnover, right? So that's 3,000-4,000 GPH? I'd like to use 2 submersible pumps in the sump so I don't have to drill. So that means a pair of Quiet One 9000's is the way to go? Can I use Laguna Max Flo with the pond boxes, too? What size drains and returns do I need? Is this kind of stuff I need to know when I order the tank, or will the tank builders advise me on all this?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I stole johns sump design and I am running 2 Laguna 2000's with pond boxes and pond matrix and ciramic rings. I love this design. What size tank are you planning on for the sump?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
If I had to do it again I'd probably do a pair of Lagunas for efficiency and sound over the Q1's. A pair of 9000's will be loud. I really like a few other pumps too but for this situation I'd go with the Laguna.

What kind of drain setup are you planning?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm thinking a 125 "wide" for the sump--72x24x17. I've been studying John's design for months now, I first saw it from a link in YOUR tank journal. You're the one had a brace go on a tank and your wife got you a new DSA? I read your tank journals, and said to myself "what's a sump"? :) Now, I want a 500 full of Vieja's. My wife and I are still negotiating tank width, she's just not having a 48 inch wide tank. So it's looking like a 40 inch. I read and re-read Egon's tank journals, too. That one where he plumbed two sumps together and put a drain out to the yard for the auto-changer--I just HAVE to do that. :)

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I'm thinking a 125 "wide" for the sump--72x24x17. I've been studying John's design for months now, I first saw it from a link in YOUR tank journal. You're the one had a brace go on a tank and your wife got you a new DSA? I read your tank journals, and said to myself "what's a sump"? :) Now, I want a 500 full of Vieja's. My wife and I are still negotiating tank width, she's just not having a 48 inch wide tank. So it's looking like a 40 inch. I read and re-read Egon's tank journals, too. That one where he plumbed two sumps together and put a drain out to the yard for the auto-changer--I just HAVE to do that. :)
Glad I could help, but all the credit goes to others like John and Egon. That's the beauty of this forum. Sump size sounds good. Good luck with the tank size negotiations and keep us updated.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
John--

good to know! I need this thing to be as quiet as possible. I had read Sean saying that it was hard to plumb the Laguna;s. you used the Quiet Ones, so I figured Quiet Ones. For drain setup--uuhhhhh...:) No drain, yet. Wife's not real keen on me cutting a hole in the garage wall to run a drain out to the yard like Egon did. Maybe later. But for overflows, I'm looking at two overflows, with 1 return and 2 drains (in each overflow, for a total of 4 drains and 2 returns) just like your 300. I'm gonna get the tank shipped from Midwest Customs, too. Same setup. I just don't know what size pumps and drain and return lines. I'm not even sure what turnover rate I need. I'm guessing 6-8 times the total tank volume, but that's just totally me guessing. I don't know.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
The laguna's were a pain to plumb, but it is doable. I love the pumps. They are out of the cage and on the bare glass in the sump. No hums, vibrations or rattles at all. They are dead quiet. Plus like have the wattage of the Q1's.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
so about plumbing laguna's. I know you probably hate to re-visit the subject, but....what was the problem with connecting them to the pond boxes? I saw you used PVC from the pump outputs, but I've seen others run clear hose, and still others press fit/don't glue PVC to their pumps so they're easy to change. If you had it to do over, what would you do? And I read somewhere about people mounting Laguna's sideways so they don't have that PVC 90 in the return line right by the pump output--how do they do that? Have you seen any detailed pictures anywhere about any of this? Or is it something you have to buy all the parts and look at it to understand?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I used Lagunas in my sump. I removed them from the cages. I took 4" pvc and capped both ends. I cut dozens of grooves in the pipe. I drilled out one of the caps to go over the intake port and used zip ties to secure the pipe to the pump. I have socks for mechanical and 100 liters of K1 for bio. A Pondmaster AP60 with 15 or so 6" airstones and a bunch of sponge filters to boil the media. Works for me.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
John--

good to know! I need this thing to be as quiet as possible. I had read Sean saying that it was hard to plumb the Laguna;s. you used the Quiet Ones, so I figured Quiet Ones. For drain setup--uuhhhhh...:) No drain, yet. Wife's not real keen on me cutting a hole in the garage wall to run a drain out to the yard like Egon did. Maybe later. But for overflows, I'm looking at two overflows, with 1 return and 2 drains (in each overflow, for a total of 4 drains and 2 returns) just like your 300. I'm gonna get the tank shipped from Midwest Customs, too. Same setup. I just don't know what size pumps and drain and return lines. I'm not even sure what turnover rate I need. I'm guessing 6-8 times the total tank volume, but that's just totally me guessing. I don't know.
Chris can tell what the best hole size to go with but I know my 1 1/2" drains/bulkheads have tons of headroom. I could upsize my pumps by quite a bit. The 2" gate I've teed them too is hardly open at all.

I shoot for around 7 turns myself but anywhere over 4-5 should be more than enough. Pumps in the 2000-2500 range should get you where you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store