Science research project for school

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hello
At my high school, there is a science research course in which I get to do an experiment with fish or whatever animal that the school can obtain. I want to do an experiment with coral and how different light spectrums effect the growth of different corals. I own a reef tank that is a year old now, I am not asking for care tips, I need to know how to start up a tank with additives and chemicals like the guys from tanked use. I am taking science research I through IV and if anyone had any good ideas for experiments please give me some. And if you are willing to donate supplies or livestock to the program, please feel free to pm me.
Thanks
~Sean

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I forgot to mention that I live in MD for the donations thing.
Thanks
~Sean

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
What you see on the show isn't actually what happens in reality.

To start up the tank, filter, lights, you'll need SW, sand of some type and live rock. It will have to run for awhile to establish and stabilize itself. You can buy various bacteria colonies in a bottle to add, but keep in mind just adding them doesn't mean the tank is ready. The colony will grow and establish itself over time. You need to allow it to grow enough to consume the amount off ammonia that will be produced by the live stock. The up side is that if you aren't dealing with fish, coral won't take much.

The other thing you'll want is a routine for dosing trace elements. A good reef saltwater mix will have most of them (or at least enough for what you are doing). I'm a big fan of the Instant Ocean reef mix.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
How long does it usually take for the nitrifying bacteria take to establish , I have time this class starts next semester I just wanted to get a jump start so I can get all the corals and lights and stuff. Also thank you for the information about the quick start I started my tank with all live rock and sand.
Thanks
~Sean

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
How long does it take to get it up and running? And I'm just one of those people who will refuse to use damsels, I will be using some sort of clown goby or small hardy fish like that.
Any ideas or donations would be well appreciated. :)
Thanks
~Sean

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Start off with a lot of live rock and bacteria infested bio balls, filter socks and fiter pads. You will be good to go in a few days.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
But won't the live rock start the nitrogen cycle? I started my rank with live rock and live sand and I cycled for a month and a half before I could put anything living in it. Would the seachem stability with a couple pieces of live rock and live sand and after a week, put in a green chromis and coral because the project deals with coral and they don't have a large bioload. I have heard that coral is good for cycling tanks.
Thanks
~Sean

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How long does it take to get it up and running? And I'm just one of those people who will refuse to use damsels
~Sean
Green Chromis ARE Damsels...and even if you use additives to try and artificially cycle your tank...it will still take a while for your system to be truly stable.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I do understand that chromis and damsels are in the same family although unlike damsels they are not aggressive. I do understand that there there may be some nonaggressive damsels but I try to stay away from them as a whole, personally I like community fish which most damsels arent. Also how long does this cycle with the artificial stuff take to cycle it, I may need to contact my teacher to start the tanks early so I can get some coral growth by the end of the semester.
Thanks
~Sean

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store