Good medications...

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I have some cichla orinos that have basically been sick since I got them I think. I've treated 3 times now with prazipro and another one died the other day randomly. They were fine for a while then started twitching and acting wierd again. I've separated them from my kelberis that are unfortunaly showing signs of being infected also now. Any other meds I can try? My temp is at 87 in the tank too. Kelberis are about 6 inches or so.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Is there any other background info you can share? Were the fish QT'ed on arivale? Are these WC fish? What are your water parameters in numbers? What other sympoms is any? Why did you use Prazi did you see signs of IPs? Give me as much info as you can think of.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Yeah I'll give you all I got.

I'm new at fish keeping in general so this is all from scratch. Never had a tank before this really.

I'll start with this. I originally bought 2 orinos and 1 kelberi all were wild caught. The kelberi died randomly but also wouldn't really eat much. After posting that in the cichla section people recommended prazipro due to the fact that they are wild just as a safety thing. So that was my first treatment. I moved those two orinos to my 180 gallon. I bought 4 more wild orinos and treated them in the seperate 50 gallon before I moved them over. So at the time I had a total of 6. All wild. One died randomly and didn't think much of it. Then over time another one passed randomly as well. I've noticed over time a lot of twitching in there pectorial fins mostly. Things looked good for a while after the second one died.

I purchased 4 kelberis that were not wild. They were quarenteened as well and treated for safety reasons before being added in the 180. Now the other day another one died lol. I see white poop floating all of a sudden and I don't know who it came from. I just took the wild fish out and now they are seperate again. The kelberis aren't acting the same anymore either. They are more skiddish and eating a lot less now. Also yesterday I noticed more twitching in their body and fins.

Water perameters are perfect. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate is like 10ppm cause I just did a water change Thursday night. Temp is 87 and sometimes drops to 84 during this lovely cold winter.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI ....... PraziPro is basically only effective at treating tapeworms, flatworms, & flukes. It contains <5% praziquantel by weight, and is designed specifically to be used as a dewormer, not to treat internal (or external) parasites such as flagellates.

http://www.uskoi.com/prazipro.htm

First you need to properly ID the parasite (if it is in fact a parasite), then treat accordingly.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa041

In most cases we can never be 100% certain as to exactly which parasite/pathogen is the cause, so we treat with a shotgun type of approach, which often can be successful. I generally hate recommending meds without seeing the fish in person, so I'll let Dr. Tom make some suggestions based on the info that you have supplied. Good luck.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Thanks for the response. I was gonna say it has to be almost impossible to tell exactly the type of parasite they have. I will wait to see what he says

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
API General cure? Perhaps? Sorry to be a pain, I'm anxious and wanna treat them all as soon as I can.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It is diffacult at time trying to diagnose fish over the internet. There can be many reasons for "random" deaths. I would suggest using API General cure or streight Metro if you can find it. Treat the tank and soak pellets in one packet for 15 mins use only enough water to disolve the powder and dump the whole thing into the tank. Otherwise just follow the directions on the package.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I completely understand. Another thing my orinos are growing REALLY slow and never really ate a lot. The kels did at first and as soon as I grouped them with the orinos they kinda stopped eating as much. So I'm gonna just drop some cash and treat the entire setup.

Thanks for you help. Meds will arrive Tuesday so ill update from there.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A few things to note when treating with metronidazole, it has been found to cause organ damage in fish if used excessively.

Metro applied via feed should only be done based on the fishes weight.

Dr. Edward J Noga suggests

1. Bath

a. Add 19mg/gallon and treat for 3 hours. Repeat every other day for 3 treatments.

2. Prolonged Immersion

a. Add 25mg/gallon and treat once daily for a total of 3 times.
b. Add 95mg/gallon and treat every other day for three days.

3. via feed

25 mg/Kg of body weight/day for 5 to 10 days, or 100 mg/kg of body weight for 3 days. Retreat once if required.

Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM, is a highly respected professor of aquatic medicine and immunology, that has been published approx 150 times in related papers/journals. His lab at NC State University specializes in the study of infectious diseases of finfish and shellfish. His book, Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment is the go to "health" book for every serious fish keeper and aquatuc DVM on the planet.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Let me konw how it goes. You will not be using this med to excess so you will have nothing to worry about. Follow the directions on the package soak and feed as I suggested. If this is an IP issue this should get it. If not repost and we can go in another direction. If this is a viral issue no antibiotic can help but that's a later bridge to cross.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store