Catalina biotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
I have been keeping a saltwater aquarium for 2 years, I am bored with my tank and want to try something new. Since I have a vacation home on Catalina Island I will like to start a predator tank based on the fish there. The fish will mostly sharks. I will be collecring all the fish myself. Here is my planned stock.

1) Leapord shark X2
2) shovelnose guitar fish
3) Blue shark
4) Horn Shark X2
5) Thornback Ray
6) Barracuda X4
7) Garabaldi X2

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Its a saltwater pond. Beach style entrance all around. The pond has blue perch, rock wasse and jack smelt. There jight be other fish I don't know about.

I like your lionfish don't release it in the wild.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sounds epic, have any pics of this salt pond? Hope its fenced in, id be nervous of keeping real sharks in an outdoor pond

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Talk to me about this set up a little more.

Your mix of animals seems very hopeful. If by "blue shark", you mean Prionace glauca, it's not one to keep without an expert on staff there to watch 24 hrs a day and a multi million gallon pond with a matching budget. The rest are do-able, but will require a lot of care and knowledge to keep them healthy.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Good news is you can be the 9th person in history to attempt to house a blue shark... after about 2 sec of research it doesnt look likely they can be kept in captivity for any period of time.

Ps certainly wasnt doubting zoodivers advice, just curious myself

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Sounds epic, have any pics of this salt pond? Hope its fenced in, id be nervous of keeping real sharks in an outdoor pond
I just need to find my old phone. If I can find my phone I will get more pictures I the next couple of weeks whe I go back to the island.

There will be a fence around the pond. A few times a month high tide floods the pond. I don't want my fish to get washed away.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
Talk to me about this set up a little more.

Your mix of animals seems very hopeful. If by "blue shark", you mean Prionace glauca, it's not one to keep without an expert on staff there to watch 24 hrs a day and a multi million gallon pond with a matching budget. The rest are do-able, but will require a lot of care and knowledge to keep them healthy.
Thats the shark. My pond is about 75 yards the long way and 50 yards the short length. It is oval shaped. Water changes will be done by the tides. The pond is an old quarry or missle test site from WWII so it has a sand bottom.

nativeshark

Banned
Feb 2, 2014
good news is you can be the 9th person in history to attempt to house a blue shark... after about 2 sec of research it doesnt look likely they can be kept in captivity for any period of time.

Ps certainly wasnt doubting zoodivers advice, just curious myself
My pond has beaches all around the edges. One of the main reasons why they don't survive is because they crash into walls. I don't have walls in my pond. this is similar with a great white shark. This pond is similar to the one I have.http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...white-shark-in-cape-cod-salt-pond-photos.html

Yes you were doubting zoodiver,

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store