Retic stopped eating

clugsy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
I have a 2.5 year old Retic Stingray that stopped eating within the last couple of weeks. (I just had shoulder surgery, and have been laid up recovering so I'm not sure exactly how long it's been). Before that he was a big healthy eater, but now he shows no interest in the food. He is in a 200 gallon tank, and the water parameters for ammonia, nitrate and nitirite all test in the lowest section of the readings. I put in prazy pro, two doses over the past couple of weeks, and still no change. I'm trying to change the water more often as well. He was eating shrimp, and tilapia, and some pellets, but now nothing.
Any advice on anything else to think of.
I do have the tank seperated with a smaller female in a small section of the tank. I was trying to grow her out a bit more (she is 4-5 inches, he is 8-9 inches) before I put them together. I did put her in and he was chasing her around pretty bad, trying to bite her disc. I did have a couple of motoro's in with him for 2 years until they got too big for my tank and I sold them. Could it be that he is just lonely, and I should try putting them together?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
blackworms are a good call too if you're really worried, which after 2 weeks I would start being. you can order them online. you said in the lowest section in terms of ammonia and nitrite, are they 0 or above 0? because that could be your problem, they need to be 0, maybe your tank is cycling for whatever reason. get a proper test kit if you are just using the strips. at this point throw everything you can at him, shrimp, tilapia, smelt, chopped worms, blackworms if you need to. you can try increasing your temp a bit to bump his metabolism but I wouldnt add salt just yet. is the female eating? anything change recently in your setup? regular wc's? examine the ray carefully and see if you notice anything.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
also, what is regular tank ph, ph of tank now, and ph of tap water? I heard rumours that prazi can crash your bio filtration sometimes, i didn't exactly believe it beause it never has for me, but if PH is your issue then maybe theirs some legitimacy to that, is the ray off colour? super skinny yet?

clugsy

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
I have tried everything I can think of. Shrimp, Tilapia, nightcrawlers, silversides, and pellets. Can't find a place with blackworms in town.
I use the liquid test kits, and they are always in the zero. He's not super skinny yet.
I took out the divider, and he chased the female around for a bit, but now they're friends. I thought it might spark him eating.
I seem to remember something similar happening at the same last year. Maybe it's something in the city's water around this time?
Pup was added at least 4 months ago.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store