Crayfish for a peaceful community?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello MFK, I have a 30 gallon tall tank (24" X 12" X 24") that is in the process of being planted. The inhabitants are still be added (and some being taken away due to aggression) but will eventually be: 1 angelfish, 3 or 4 bronze Corydoras, and possibly a german blue ram. I was wondering if there would be any crayfish (that get at least 2 inches) that could go in the tank without killing any of the fish or eating a significant amount of the plants. If so please suggest a few and I will look up the requirements. Also if needed, the tanks temperature is 79 F and pH is 7.6.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Marbled crayfish(cpo) are about the only one that wont destroy every plant. Made that mistake once

kingofthejungle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2012
Virginia
I don't know if a crayfish is going to work. It should be okay while it's too small to catch fish. But it might get killed by the fish and in my experience the crayfish will destroy your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Marbled crayfish(cpo) are about the only one that wont destroy every plant. Made that mistake once
Looked up marbled crayfish and it seems like they are a whole group, would you recommend any species?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I would also be willing to do shrimp, but if so, I am not willing to keep the tank lights on for more than 5.5 hours since I heard shrimp (or at least certain kinds) need a lot of daylight.

Pbaff

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
SW Missouri
I always thought that Marbled Crayfish was the other name for Marmokrebs, the self cloning and banned in several states crayfish. I know from experience that they are aggressive and will destroy plants. I used to feed mine the trimmings from my planted tanks. CPO is the short name for the Orange Dwarf Crayfish. They are supposed to be nice to plants but don't get much bigger than a shrimp.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thinking about an orange CPO or normal dwarf crayfish (not sure if there is a behavior difference). One question I have that I think is a pretty stupid one is when the crayfish molt, do they need to eat their old shell for nutrition. I thought I heard that somewhere before. And if so will the 3 Corydoras eat the shell and starve them. Sorry for all the questions but I have only ever had 2 ghost shrimp in terms of inverts and did not succeed with them (one got eaten because it was to small and the other molted so I thought it died and flushed the shell them it starved :( ).

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I had the dwarf marbled crayfish, I was told they were also called cpo, anyways they were small and didnt mess with plants at all. Looked more like a big shrimp than a small crayfish. Ill be the first to admit I dont know a ton about them but I was told they clone and I know they didnt touch my mosses or plants

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I had the dwarf marbled crayfish, I was told they were also called cpo, anyways they were small and didnt mess with plants at all. Looked more like a big shrimp than a small crayfish. Ill be the first to admit I dont know a ton about them but I was told they clone and I know they didnt touch my mosses or plants
Im pretty sure that's still a marmorkreb seeing how that's the only cray I know of that can "clone" itself. I was referring to the Mexican orange dwarf crayfish (cambarellus patzcuarensis). Just to clear up any confusion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store