Help educate me -

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I had a silver - got him with the sac still attached and raised him to about 15 inches when he actually broke the hinge on my acrylic top and I found him on the floor. Setting up a new 240 and would love a red variety - saw some redd monsters at the shedd in Chicago last summer. What is actually available in the US? I have parrots and am very familiar with CITES - didn't prevent me from moving to Switzerland and the UK and back with them. It just took a lot of paperwork.
As I look around, there are a number of sites that appear to have legit arowanas for sale - starlight for one. Any comments, guidance etc.
many thanks!

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
You could ask the dyed-fish industry to start dyeing silvers red.

In fact, I'm surprised they haven't.....

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
One of those black-strain jardinis are probably the closest you'll get, seems extremely rare though. Be careful of scam sites, if its an Asian then its either a trap or a scam

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
Unfortunately you've got 2 hopes of getting a legal Asian Arowana in the USA Bob Hope and no Hope. They are on the banned species list, I'd move back to the UK.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've looked into this at length.

Simply put, it is legal under US law to import and possess an Asian arowana IF you can get a permit from the Fish and Wildlife Service. However, the FWS has an internal policy that they WILL NOT, under any circumstances, issue permits for Asian aros to civilians. They will not even entertain discussions on the matter.

So yes, technically you CAN have one legally, but the catch is that you CAN NOT acquire the documentation that is required to legally have it.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I've looked into this at length.

Simply put, it is legal under US law to import and possess an Asian arowana IF you can get a permit from the Fish and Wildlife Service. However, the FWS has an internal policy that they WILL NOT, under any circumstances, issue permits for Asian aros to civilians. They will not even entertain discussions on the matter.

So yes, technically you CAN have one legally, but the catch is that you CAN NOT acquire the documentation that is required to legally have it.
Just buy Sea World, or one of those public aquarium and you can legally purchase, import, and own an Asian arowana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store