Maintaining a 7.0 pH in a freshwater system with a drip

RequiemTCE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
Hello everybody,

First I'll describe my setup. I've got a 180, 150, and 80 all draining back into a 220g sump. One hammerhead is pumping water into all 3 tanks(and 2 UV sterilizers), and I've got a drip of city water coming in at 4gph through a BRS Chloramine Monster. There's an Apex in play with 2 powerbar 8's, lab grade pH probe and lab grade ORP probe. None of it's switch ports are in use yet and there's plenty of open outlets on it's power bars.

Stock is full of very hungry(and very effective at destroying alkalinity) fish. Two ~24" catfish(Achara hybrid and TSN), a ~24" Royal Clown Knife, Oscar, Severum, Rainbow Wolf Fish, Port Cichlid, a ~20" Giant Grourami, and a granulosus.

Just speaking from experience with trying to buffer back when I didn't have the sump or the drip, this stock can easily wipe out 100KH in a matter of hours. I'd usually have to buffer from 6.0 to 6.5, wait a couple hours until it's back to 6, buffer to 6.5 again, wait, buffer again, and then maybe it'd hold 6.5 long enough that I could try to buffer up to 7.0/~100KH the next day so as to not shock the fish. If I did so, it'd be less than a week before it was right back at 6.0/0KH. The process was completely unfeasible so I've only done it when I was expecting to add a new fish.

The tap water here in Portland is usually about 7.0pH and 70-80KH.

I was hoping that the drip, since it drips in the volume of the entire system about every 5 days or so, might improve things. No change whatsoever. Still 6.0/0 after a few weeks. Supplements obviously aren't going to cut it because of the drip, and even if I did take time(I'm guessing this would take months) to load the sump up with just enough crushed coral to keep it around 7 and not spike it up to 8, from what I've read, that would be a temporary effect at best, because crushed coral has a finite lifespan and it's ability to introduce KH to the water decreases as a function of time.

Cost and PITA factor aside, it seems like a calcium reactor is a bad(or outright unworkable) solution for a tank that you want to keep around 7pH instead of 8 like you would for it's intended use in a reef system.

So here I am, I'm out of ideas and I'm hoping that somebody here has more!

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Im in the same boat as you ive been battling this problem for some time as well I have a 609 gal with drip system and the ro water ph is at 6.2 and I have a lot of driftwood which just lowers it even more I have the sump stocked with crushed coral at the moment and it has kept it around 6.6 but still have to add buffer on occasion im looking for a better solution as well

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Wow, you have got some pretty high tech stuff going on. So are you adding pure r.o. water into your tanks through the drips system? Your city water is very soft to begin with....

I had a serious pH crash with a tank of mine when I used pure r.o. water on water changes. It doesn't buffer the water since it strips the good and bad solids from the water. So I had to mix 50% city water (treated with Prime) with 50% r.o water.

Now, I have a friends of water whole house chloramine filter with a drip system for 4 tanks using city water. pH is about 7.2, I have never even measured hardness but I know its up there since I am in Los Angeles.

Is the BRS Chloramine monster an r.o unit as well? It doesn't look like it, so I am confused.

Not sure if this is possible, but can you have your pH controller operate a doser/drip with a buffering mixture so you don't have to manually buffer the water?

RequiemTCE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
Wow, you have got some pretty high tech stuff going on. So are you adding pure r.o. water into your tanks through the drips system? Your city water is very soft to begin with....

I had a serious pH crash with a tank of mine when I used pure r.o. water on water changes. It doesn't buffer the water since it strips the good and bad solids from the water. So I had to mix 50% city water (treated with Prime) with 50% r.o water.

Now, I have a friends of water whole house chloramine filter with a drip system for 4 tanks using city water. pH is about 7.2, I have never even measured hardness but I know its up there since I am in Los Angeles.

Is the BRS Chloramine monster an r.o unit as well? It doesn't look like it, so I am confused.

Not sure if this is possible, but can you have your pH controller operate a doser/drip with a buffering mixture so you don't have to manually buffer the water?
I'm not worried about anything from the water except for the chloramines, 1-2ppm ammonia is presently no problem whatsoever because the pH is 6, and it definitely wouldn't be a problem if the pH was 7 because there is literally about a cubic meter of bio balls in the sump. Also, neither ammonia nor nitrates can ever become very concentrated because the drip just dilutes it. I've been measuring all 3 and they are all staying very low even with heavy feeding.

It would certainly be possible to have the Apex use it's pH probe in conjunction with some kind of doser for calcium carbonate or something whenever needed. It would even be possible to program the Apex to check once per interval and do the actual math necessary to know exactly what the dose should be to bring it back to a nominal level. Before I jump off of that cliff, though, I'd like to hear from somebody that has actually done something like that so I know what equipment I need and that it can be trusted, and what the ideal reagent to load it with would be. The idea that some part I found on the internet has to be trusted to accurately dose my tank with something that can easily kill my fish is worrisome. And ideally I wouldn't be needing to create a mixture for it, or at least have to do so very often.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I've got a 180, 150, and 80 all draining back into a 220g sump. [...] I've got a drip of city water coming in at 4gph
To start, this is a very very very poor water exchange rate considering your fish stock. You have a total (incl sump) of 630 gal, at 4 gph you only change 14 % of the tank volume per day. (this is considering the fact that a drip is diluting tank water instead of drain/fill water changes)

Try this calculator for guidance

http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

The only (and extremely easy) way to get a handle on your pH is to increase the drip to about three-times the current rate. You'll have to experiment a little. I have had great experience with slightly less bioload than yours (5 piranhas 14-16'', still messy) and a turnover rate of 30% per day.

Adding water conditioners is in vain in a drip, or a system the size of yours for that matter.

Good luck
HarleyK

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
You might get more solid advice from the reefing guys since they generally do this type of dosing more.

Also not sure if you are aware or not but the ph probe with your Apex will require routine calibrating and after a year or so will need replacing all together. Their readings will drift very quickly from the actual ph value very quickly the older they get.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
IF you drip enough then your tank water should be very close to your source water. I'm with Harley, triple the drip and see what happens..... If you're running the right carbon chloramines shouldn't be an issue (assuming you've already checked into it and DO have it and not just chlorine)

I'm in the opposite boat.... My tap is 8.5+ and I've been using RO to bring it down. The end solution will be to mix the water and do regular water changes. The whole drip thing probably won't pan out for me, too much fluctuation.

RequiemTCE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks for the link and info. I'll go ahead and increase it to 12gph and let you all know what happens in a couple/few weeks! That's still only $40/mo of water, sounds like a real bargain to me. I'm definitely not worried about temperature, that hammerhead can keep the whole system at 78-79 degrees all by itself(with ambient temperature controlled at 70, all lids on the sump, and no blower on the hammerhead) before the ~2300w of heaters I have in there(1x300 in the 150, 2x300 in the 180, 1x300 in the 80, 2x300 and a few smaller randoms in the sump) even need to do any work. They're all set between 76 and 77.

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
So how do you increase your kh and the city water by me is garbage so I don't even want to mess with it just only ro
Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store