Blood parrot with bacterial infection? Parasite? Fin Rot?

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I have a blood parrot that has some issues. It started about 3 weeks ago where he had a white patch on his face that looks like his skin was scraped off. It slowly got bigger. We treated it with fungal medicine and it didn't improve. The area hasn't changed much in the last week or two but now it has white stringy things coming off of his top fin. Today I noticed a white thing coming out of its anus it doesn't look like poop. The fish has not been acting wierd and has been eating fine. I have noticed him fighting bit more with our other parrot and EBJD. The water parameters are ph 7.6, ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates 20ppm I have tried to take some pictures but havent gotten any great ones. I cant get one of whatever is coming out of it. Please advise.
20140205_114927 (1).jpg20140205_114932.jpg

20140205_114927 (1).jpg

20140205_114932.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's diffacult to see whats' going on. Here is somthing to try that will hopfully narrow this down. Do a 50% water change and substrate vacuming. Treat the tank with API General Cure. Give the fish a 30 min bath in a bucket of tank water with 1 teaspoon of Methylene Bule per 5 gallons of water along with 1 tablespoon of salt (pre-desolved). After the bath return the fish to the main tank.

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Here are some more pics, maybe a little bit better. It looks almost like he has a prolapse.
uploadfromtaptalk1391662097194.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391662116238.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391662354721.jpg

It's just generally weird because it has been like this for a while like 2 weeks and there seems to be no change in eating or behavior.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Ok I got him isolated in a hospital tank. After more research I think it's definitely a prolapsed anus. I am going to take him off food for a while and then give him some veggies. Do you think I should still use the general cure? Also, for what can cause a prolapse?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you suspect a prolapsed rectum (I can't see anything from the pictures) do not feed at all. Sometimes they go back somtimes they don't. My suggestion for GC was based on the original discription. If you can post clear close up pics of the affected areas it would be helpful.

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
We bought a hospital tank and put it in there with water from the main tank and one of the filters from the main tank the water parameters are the same but the nitrates are lower now. We treated with the api general cure. And we stopped feeding yesterday. It looks like the parrot is deteriorating. I cant get a good picture because it is just hiding under its cave basically on the substrate. The white on the face and fins seems to be better, but unfortunately the white coming from its anus looks like many of the pictures I have seen of fish with a prolapsed anus. The parrot seems to be getting more listless and pale. At what point do you decided if they aren't going to make it and if they aren't is there a humane way to put them to sleep? I don't want to watch it suffer.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Oil of clove will put it down.

dgebhart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Ok thanks were going to give it the best chance. He was swimming again earlier and looking a little better. Thanks for your advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store