African sideneck basking

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Caught this guy basking again lol love how he has his head all the out. Also Seems to be basking quite a bit any reason for that? Waters is clean and around 80℉.. anyways let me know what you think

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1391640603787.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391640619738.jpg

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
water seems a little warm, Is he just shedding or is that how his shell normally looks?

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
water seems a little warm, Is he just shedding or is that how his shell normally looks?
Normally it's smooth. And should it be a little cooler

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Also my res has the same look on his shell and is shedding. Both bask quite a bit

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My old african side necked was virtually 100% aquatic. he very rarely came out of the water so seems odd to me.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
If the rest of his activities are ok, try making his basking site a bit warmer

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
My old african side necked was virtually 100% aquatic. he very rarely came out of the water so seems odd to me.
Hmm that's odd. He used to be in the water all the time. Now about 25% he is basking. maybe once he moves to pond this summer he will change his behavior

If the rest of his activities are ok, try making his basking site a bit warmer
Everything seems fine he is eating and swimming. I did increase the basking temps.

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Pelusious are one of most hearty species that I've ever kept. I've had some subspecies that liked to bask daily, and others that never came out. Even different Pelomedusa that I've had over the years have acted differently than another Pelo might have. But the Pelomedusa did seem to bask very little if at all. These are great turtles. They also don't need to sit at 80 to stay healthy. Mid-high 70's has been fine ime. The slightly lower water temp also allows a basking spot to be warmer easier without being too warm. Just my 2 cents. They are great, and easy to keep healthy!

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Pelusious are one of most hearty species that I've ever kept. I've had some subspecies that liked to bask daily, and others that never came out. Even different Pelomedusa that I've had over the years have acted differently than another Pelo might have. But the Pelomedusa did seem to bask very little if at all. These are great turtles. They also don't need to sit at 80 to stay healthy. Mid-high 70's has been fine ime. The slightly lower water temp also allows a basking spot to be warmer easier without being too warm. Just my 2 cents. They are great, and easy to keep healthy!
Thanks for the input, he has been more active lately, think he can sense the summer season coming, and being more active as part of it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store