got a mangrove?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I'd like to see it, along with how long you've had it. if you want to get really involved you can mention your ferts(if any) and the lighting.

I got this one from my LFS, he had no idea what kind it was, but whatever. I've had plans for one of these for a while but didn't want to buy 5 or 10 of them and couldn't find anyone selling singles. it's about a year and a half since I got it, but it sat dormant in my sump for a few months until I got some light on it. I tried ambient, there's a south facing window about 18" away, but nothing happened.
the light above it now is a 10W LED.
DSCN5928.JPG

DSCN5928.JPG

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Can you post a full tank shot? How does the mangrove sit inside your tank? I've been wanting to get one for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't have any but being a collector of exotic plants I am sometimes tempted to purchase and try one when I see them in the shops.

Johnson18

Feeder Fish
Jun 10, 2013
Columbia, SC
I've got a White Mangrove growing as a riparium plant in my 20L. I've had it growing almost exactly a year. It's planted in a planter from Riparium Supply. The tank receives a light ei dosing schedule, excel daily, and an Osmocote + root tab gets put in the planter when needed. I've got a 30" dual t5ho lamp as well as a 23W CFL 5000k bulb in a clamp on dome.

The first picture was a few weeks after planting. The second was about a week ago.
003.JPG013.JPG

003.JPG

013.JPG

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Can you post a full tank shot? How does the mangrove sit inside your tank? I've been wanting to get one for a while.
I could, but then you wouldn't see the mangrove at all, it's in my sump. that section is pond matrix and alfa grog. there's no planter, I just moved a few pieces out of the way and used them to hold it up. there's no way for me to get a better shot of it. the bio-media comes up to about 2" from the top of the tank.

looks good johnson, your leaves look to maybe be a different shape than mine, so for now I'll figure mine to not be a white mangrove. nice to see they're slow growers and it's not just me. no fertilizer for mine, I don't want it to take off yet, it's going to be going in another tank come spring and I don't want to have to dig out all my biomedia to get it out.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I have a black mangrove growing in a killiefish tank on my kitchen counter next to an east facing window. After a little over 2 years, it has eight leaves on it. LOL!

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
^^ Yours looks like a red mangrove propagule, Gill Blue. Would have to see the whole thing though to be sure.
cool, I'll keep that in mind.
I have a black mangrove growing in a killiefish tank on my kitchen counter next to an east facing window. After a little over 2 years, it has eight leaves on it. LOL!
so it sounds like mine is zipping along at about the same speed as yours.:woot: so I can expect 40 leaves in about 10 years. stand back people!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store