Hope this works!first planted & first dirt tank

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
image (1).jpegimage (2).jpegimage (3).jpegimage (3).jpeg
So this is the result of me setting up my first ever planted/dirt tank. I did a fair amount of research, learned a lot about this type of tank, and then promptly ignored all I learned and just did it. Its a 5 gallon, I used worm castings (effectively worm crap) as my dirt substrate, and put fine sand where I didn't want plants to take root. I chose the castings because it is a spongy (so it gets heavy and sinks easily), nutrient rich (but not too rich) soil. It did make a mess of my sand however. Oh well. Obviously all the soil is capped with gravel, the slate in the background is just that, a background. I used 50 percent old tank water and 50 percent new water, and I have a very well established filter running in it right now, just to clean the smaller particles of dirt from the water and to help with wayward nitrite and ammonia levels from the castings. I'm gonna remove the filter once the tank establishes. i have two of the hardiest guppies ever in there. they've survived predatory fish, extreme water temperature fluctuations, and living in a full marine nano reef tank, I thought i might as well add them now.
Also, does anyone know what that small foreground plant is? the guy said he got it in with a shipment of his regular plants but he didn't know what it was, he gave it to me for free.

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Good luck

Pbaff

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
SW Missouri
That is a great start for a first planted tank. Certainly better than just throwing a bunch of plants into a regular aquarium like I did my first time. As for the ID, I believe the second picture shows micro swords. Not sure if that is the foreground plant you are talking about.

A_K_Kicker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
KC, MO
Sounds to me like you did your homework! That's a pretty good start to your first dirted tank. The plant in the front is microsword, give it some time and it'll spread well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
the thing is, I'm cheap! I wanted plants but didn't want to be buying fertilizers or a CO2 system. So when I saw stuff about dirt tanks, I thought, "why not?"
the guppies seem to love it, they always shied away from me until I put them in this tank. now they swim up to greet me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store