Swim bladder problem

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
This salvini was donated to my store. Stays at the bottom of the tank, leans on things. Obvious buoyancy problems. He or she is about 5 inches long. In a 60 gallon tank with some convicts that are leaving him/her alone.

Is there anything I can do?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1391666612.369997.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Does it eat?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Have you tried feeding some peas? If it will not accept them a 30 Methylene blue bath dosed at 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of tank water.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Have you tried feeding some peas? If it will not accept them a 30 Methylene blue bath dosed at 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of tank water.
He is in a community tank :-/. Only tank I could put him in. I can dip him though? I didn't know I could use meth blue for swim bladder issues.

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
I have successfully treated several ebjd whom had SBD with the epsom salt treatment
Try shooting some diluted epsom salt down his throat via pipette to help flush the system.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Meth Blue is an excelent therapy for swim bladder issues. I ment to say a 30 minute Meth blue bath dosed a 1 teaspoon per five gallons of wather. Give it a try.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I have meth blue readily available. I think I'm gonna try that first. I have no Epsom salt. If that doesn't work I'll try the salts.

What if neither works?

Endo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
So Cal
The fish looks very stressed as it is, dipping it in a bath of medication can increase its stress and cause the immune system to fail if the SBD has been present for a while; or it can cure the disease who knows.

I always like to try the natural route first as it is the least amount of stress that can be added to a fish already sick. The only dips I do are that of the anti-septic Paragaurd, but thats for external diseases.

Epsom salt is available at any drug store and so is a pipette, I highly suggest you try that first as it works great as a diuretic for internal issues.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Ok I'll try that first. So scoop him out, squirt some salt water down his throat, and drop him back in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store