STINGRAY BREEDING QUETIONS

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I am very interested in breeding my pure Pearl stingray and my Black Diamond x Leopoldi stingray. Both are males however so I was wondering a few questions.

1). Do stingrays need to be similar to mate?
2). Can I throw any male and female together when they are sexually mature and they'll mate?
3). Can I have two breeding pairs in one tank?
4). Can I keep two males and one female during breeding?
5). Can either of my rays mate with a female marble motoro?

Thank you in advance.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
1. Hybrids are possible
2. Rays can be picky when mating so just putting a mature male an female together does not guarantee pups
3. You can have multiple breeding pairs together but it will depend on tank size and how well they tolerate each other
4. Possibly it just depends on the rays (and tank size). Sometimes males are intolerant of each other
5. Yes hybrids can happen

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
1. Hybrids are possible
2. Rays can be picky when mating so just putting a mature male an female together does not guarantee pups
3. You can have multiple breeding pairs together but it will depend on tank size and how well they tolerate each other
4. Possibly it just depends on the rays (and tank size). Sometimes males are intolerant of each other
5. Yes hybrids can happen
Thank you for the speedy reply.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I am attempting to breed reticulated stingrays myself, and I have heard that it is better to have 1 male and 2 females in the same tank with a backup tank for either the pups or the male ray. I was told the male rays can be very aggressive at times toward the females, so having two females in the same tank can distract the male from beating up just the one so bad. Also the backup tank you can put the male in for "time out" if he gets too aggressive toward the females.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I am attempting to breed reticulated stingrays myself, and I have heard that it is better to have 1 male and 2 females in the same tank with a backup tank for either the pups or the male ray. I was told the male rays can be very aggressive at times toward the females, so having two females in the same tank can distract the male from beating up just the one so bad. Also the backup tank you can put the male in for "time out" if he gets too aggressive toward the females.
Yeah I will most likely be buying a divider when I upgrade my tank in order to put the pups in or for the male. But I also will run a small back up tank in case the pups shouldn't go in with the other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store