Filtering a fowlr tank

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I've read that with a fowlr tank you don't need much in lines of filter due to the live rock acts as a filter you really just need water cleaners like sponges and protein skimmers how true is this?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You don't really need sponges. They are filter feeders and you'll still need to feed then cuz eventually they'll eat all the phyto and algae floating in the water. It is correct that the live rock holds all the BB that your tank will need.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Not live sponges... Sponges like filter sponges. So if I did a fowlr tank (200 gallons) and the water went into overflow past some filter media into a sump with a protein skimmer that's it other then heaters? I could just get say 150 lbs of live rock

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Not live sponges... Sponges like filter sponges. So if I did a fowlr tank (200 gallons) and the water went into overflow past some filter media into a sump with a protein skimmer that's it other then heaters? I could just get say 150 lbs of live rock

Haha I dunno why I thought you were referring to live sponges but ya, lots of mechanical filtration and a skimmer, the largest you can fit is all you'll pretty much need. Even though you probably won't be keeping any sps, a descent amount if flow will be needed since there's a lot of current in the ocean.

Lowy

Feeder Fish
Jan 5, 2008
Australia
I have a DSB (deep sand bed) in one side of my sump. Protein skimmer on the other side in with the lift pump.

It's a 200 gallon FOWLR system with the fish being a Titan trigger with a few stripeys as clean up crew.
I also have about 150lbs of live rock in there.
Very basic setup but it has been stable and running perfectly for 6 years now with minimal maintenance.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Lowy

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
If you're going to use mechanical filtration then make it something that is quick and easy to clean so you stay on top of it. Filter socks tend to be the preferred method since it only takes a few seconds to swap dirty ones out with clean ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store