What parasite/infection is this?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
My male jag has odd pimple like bumps on his tail. They are red and swollen, the largest have a white head on them like a human pimple. I have tetra parasite guard and fungus guard. Can easily pick up anti antibiotics at the lfs nearby.

What do you think?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1391741550364.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391741572061.jpg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Oh water is 82 degrees, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 50. Doing wc to bring that down a bit now

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Could be anchor worm. Any new additions recently? How long have you had the fish?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've had them for 1.5 years. I've seen this pimple thing before on my female's pectoral fin about 6 months ago. I treated with parasite guard and it cleared up a about a month later after treatment so I couldn't tell if it was because of the meds with the delayed recovery. No new fish in the tank since before the last treatment.

I might just treat again and see if it helps.
I'll try to get better pictures

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
You can spot treat with Meth blue or iodine. It will look much worse if you do before it gets better.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thank you Aquanero.

I will treat with iodine. Do you think I should be abrasive when applying and try to get it into the red bumps? I'll treat the whole tank too with tetra parasite guard.

Matter of fact I'll treat all of my tanks. I just used water from this one to help cycle another new tank so I'll just treat them all as if they are contaminated.

cotton ball and iodine sounds like what you think I should do? Do you think I should add antibiotics too?

possible temperature increase and salt also?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just put a drop on the affected area. Like I said the iodine will make it look worse before it gets better. This will take care of the specific area. Salt could be added to the tank to help healing. Do a large water change and substrate vacuming and monitor the fish for any other signs of anchor worm.

If anchor worm is what this is you'll need to treat the tank with API general cure, after physically removing any worms from the fish dip in a bucket of meth blue with a double dose 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons of water for 5 mins. Then place back into the tank.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Aquanero I will follow your instructions. Thank you for the guidance. I'll treat the affected areas with iodine and give them a meth blue bath. Should I repeat the bath daily? weekly?

My remaining question is: API gen cure contains Metronidazole and Praziquantel. I already have loads of Tetra parasite guard which contains Praziquantel, Dflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin. Would this be a suitable substitution to treat the tanks with?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
The red bumps are getting much better. I've been running Tetra parasite guard. did the baths as instructed and treated with iodine. I've read that the dflubenzuron is the key ingredient with copepods like anchor worms and lice.

thanks for the advice Aquanero, looks on the road to recovery

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm happy to hear the fish are doing much better. Good job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store