Turning pool into a pond... worst idea

rileypoole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Atlanta GA
I spent a TON of money making sure the pool was ready before I put water in and fish etc... I even had fish "experts" come help me with the pool. It was a disaster. The pool coating cracked after a month and the fish were getting sick, they had white spots all over them. Thankfully I have a friend who has a 1000g tank. I put all my rays into the tank. Treated them and sold them to good homes. WILL NEVER Do THAT AGAIN!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What kind of pool was it,one of those Intex jobs?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Probably right...bump for more details.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
The best things about what we learn from lessons....There is a better way to do the things we dream about...And you started by coming to MFK!

I'd start by reading some of the Outdoor Pond threads, they are truly inspiring!
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?261937-Considering-a-Tropical-Pond

You can rebuild your pond, it might take time and more money...but there's a lot of people here who can help you find out what went wrong.

Good luck

wyowyome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Gillette
I'm curious as to what actually happened? Where the water paramaters ok as far as PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp. etc? Was the water treated for choramines? Glad to hear you had a plan B to save your stock!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Wish we could have helped more. Sounds like a different issue to me. Since you coated it im guessing its inground which means it was probably constructed from gunite which is fish safe anyways so coating is unnecessary. Only way I can imagine chemicals being an issue is if you tried to recycle the filtration.

Too bad because a swimming pool could be quite an epic monster tank.

Reactions: RocketGarStar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store