Planting problem, potentially...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Getting ready to FINALLY start planting my 40 breeder, hours are back up at work, life is good again..

Problem is:
I was planning to use the dry start method, to get the carpeting plants and everything established well. The hardscape is in, and looks pretty much how I want it...
At the moment, I've got a 3" firemouth in need of a hospital tank to de-stress and grow back some badly nipped fins... I've also got some hybrid fry that need a grow-out until decide what to do with them...

After all that is done, can I drain the tank and go ahead and do my dry start for my plants with no major issues?

Are those fish going to totally destroy my hardscape (hills and path and such) and make me try to re-do it all?

Anything else I need to be aware of trying to use the tank, then drain and dry start plants? I'm guessing it could possibly help, as there could be some waste buildup in the substrate to help with plant growth initially?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
well, the fire mouth will be fine, but idk about the hybrids as it depends on what kind of hybrids they are.

Hills made of substrate will naturally flatten out over time unless you have something supporting the substrate...all the fish might do is uproot stuff, but even then, I keep cichlids in my high tech and its fine. It just sucks because bigger fish (bichirs) uproot things that haven't formed roots yet

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well I managed to snag the FM and get him in today. I think if he makes it through the night he should be OK.

Got a brand new AC50, but using the filter foam and biomax bag from an existing, established tank, got a double sponge filter, and took 10 gallons of the water from the tank he was in, so the levels would be much closer. Added some aquarium salt. Probably dose with Melafix tomorrow.

Might grab a stem of scarlet temple out of my 29g to put in there just to have SOMETHING planted, looks so bare right now.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store