Arapaima question

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Setting up a new 240. I've found an arapaima gigas locally at about 5". How fast do these monsters grow? My tank's footprint is 72"x30"x25". I'm trying to figure out if I could grow this guy out to say 18" to 20" - how long would that take?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Then what will yoi do with it?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Setting up a new 240. I've found an arapaima gigas locally at about 5". How fast do these monsters grow? My tank's footprint is 72"x30"x25". I'm trying to figure out if I could grow this guy out to say 18" to 20" - how long would that take?
Pretty fast I would assume. You may have a year to 2 years...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I'd definately find a home. It would be a mission. Wouldn't release it. Btw - I've got 10" and 12" Columbian sharks in need of a new home - brackish or marine only. These guys won't survive in freshwater.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
In 9 months you have to move them. These fish are not suitable for the home aquarium. Buying these fish just promotes bringing more in to sell by the LFS, very irresponsible IMO

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I'd definately find a home. It would be a mission. Wouldn't release it. Btw - I've got 10" and 12" Columbian sharks in need of a new home - brackish or marine only. These guys won't survive in freshwater.
I have tried columbians 3 times now and gave decided they do best in a "species only" tank. They are hard to care for. My one pair got to 8 and 10 inches then died... They were in near brackish... (More freshwater...)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
In 9 months you have to move them. These fish are not suitable for the home aquarium. Buying these fish just promotes bringing more in to sell by the LFS, very irresponsible IMO
VERY nicely put, my friend. Straight forward, they are NOT suitable for home aquariums. Now people like arapaimag can have them because he doesn't have a "home aquarium". He has an "aquarium home". He basically built a 50,000 gallon into his house! :D But seriously, these fish belong in 3 places, 1.) the public aquarium 2.) the wild 3.) some huge outdoor pond or tank (10,000 gallons or bigger but that still seems to small IMO) However, since wild populations are down, it is GOOD to see that they are becoming more readily bred.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store