Under gravel filter to canister

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
I was thinking of building an under gravel manifold system out of PVC and attaching it directly to my Rena Xp3. I currently run an ac110 with double sponges for mechanical with rena on my 90 gallon. My though was I could use the gravel as a mechanical filter so this way I could completely fill the rena with bio-media.

What is everyone's thoughts.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you can use the cannister, but they aren't meant to move water except for within the filter. you will get better flow with a powerhead. I haven't used a canister, but have used a whisper 5 HOB, but switched it to a powerhead.
an UGF pulls detritus down into the gravel, but it's main purpose is biological filtration. I run the UGF for bio and a HOB for fine particulate filtration.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I hooked up an AC110 to a homemade undergravel filter in my 90. It worked good for many years. The intake fits right inside the PVC tubing.

GoWoodMan

Feeder Fish
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
I was having to clean a Fluval 306 every five days in my 55; the sponges were clogging and water flow cut to less than half.
Added a 406 and hooked both intakes to an undergravel filter that I added at the same time. Astounding improvement. The sponges stay clear because of the gravel pre-filtration; the flow stays constant; chemistry numbers stay perfect until a monthly cleaning, which I do mainly just for fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store