month long pop-eye battle. surgury?

loli

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
usa
Well my young oscar got pop eye over a month ago when I went on vacation for 2 weeks so I couldn't do waterchanges. Since ive came back ive kept nitrates below 20 on a consistent basis and dose daily with melafix. His pop eye stopped growing but eventually developed a sore on the eye and as also filled with blood. Hes a happy fish though eats wonderfully and is very active and tame. Today hd leaped out the water to grab food and the sore popped and I saw blood dripping out. What should I do? Should I just let it be maybe it'll fall off? I would like to sedate him and possibly surgically remove the eye, is that a good idea?

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Well my young oscar got pop eye over a month ago when I went on vacation for 2 weeks so I couldn't do waterchanges. Since ive came back ive kept nitrates below 20 on a consistent basis and dose daily with melafix. His pop eye stopped growing but eventually developed a sore on the eye and as also filled with blood. Hes a happy fish though eats wonderfully and is very active and tame. Today hd leaped out the water to grab food and the sore popped and I saw blood dripping out. What should I do? Should I just let it be maybe it'll fall off? I would like to sedate him and possibly surgically remove the eye, is that a good idea?
That sounds painful... I would just let it be unless you can see he is in clear pain. No need to risk killing the oscar if it is not hurting him that bad. So if surgery can be avoided then avoid it at all costs as it can be very risky.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Do not perform surgery. You're probably not a veterinarian.

Also, I think melafix is a total waste of time and money but that's just me. The most important thing you can do is keep his water clean. This means doing major water changes and feeding less. Adding some salt to the water can help healing and fight infection as well.

All you can do is provide the best conditions for your fish possible and hope it heals on its own. You will almost certainly make things worse trying to intervene beyond that without proper training/expertise.

loli

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
usa
Hahah yes no vet here but ive done minor surguries before on fish. I cut the fattie off 1 of my pond orandas yesrs ago. But I do agree it was just an idea if necessary.

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
sometimes you have to do what you need to save your fish but that is up to you. I do performed some surgeries on my fish too because its my choice or my fish will die either way. They all end up getting better and heal up after it. But its your choice if you want to do it or not :D good luck

loli

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
usa
My oscar is in his own tank so no seperate quarantine needed he actually had a high dose (2tbs/5g)of salt bath for about 3 weeks. Hes currently in with the normal 1tbs/5g salt bath.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store