Swimming into bubbles from pump

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
My one female leo is separated atm because she is being bullied by my male. Recently I added another mag1800 pump to my system after re-doing the plumbing. For about a week now I have caught her on occasion doing this:

IMG_20140207_164041.jpg

Normally I'd dismiss this as the ray having fun, if it weren't for the fact that it stays like that for long periods of time (5-10 mins?) After it comes down it seems like her disc is irritating her, she is curling the back of it and almost curling all of it at times, not continuously and definitely 100% not the death curl, it settles down fine and then starts again. Best way I can describe it is that she doesn't keep it steady in one spot, always fluttering. I kind of equate it to when I bought my male ray and introduced it to my tank (which I regularly add aquarium salt to) when he came from a tank with an autodrip system and no salt or conditioner, he was visibly irritated with the water, but it settled after a half hour. I could be making too much of this, she eats like a pig, never leaves a spec, and is quite active, but just want to triple check. Other rays completely fine. I recently re-did the plumbing of my overflows, wondering if some of the caulking could have gotten in the water and she is just particularly sensitive. SHould mention that this is the output pump from my sump and I have it half way in and out of the water which is why it draws in air and spits out bubbles, I like the oxygenation, however maybe shes craving more for whatever reason? Or maybe it gets her high and she's addicted LOL

IMG_20140207_164041.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Maybe its like a massage thing happening that she digs

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I would do some water changes! Just to be safe. Can you post video of this?

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Sure I'll post a vid, next time I catch her. I think shes just playing but Shes really active and eats easily what the other 2 do combined, so maybe I need to pump her with even more food. I have done plenty of water changes just because I couldn't have my tank overflowing while working on the plumbing right? 25% done yesterday on the 400 gallons.

Reincarnated

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
upstate ny
Maybe its like a massage thing happening that she digs
Im with this. I have bubble discs on the bottom of my pool that are 4" around and my female marbled motoro will just sit on top of the discs. I feel like its stimulating to her and something she enjoys. She cant seem to get enough. To the point that she dislodges the bubble disc from the stone and ive tried wrapping it with fishing line and everything but i cant keep it on the bottom with how much she plays with it.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My rays do it all the time. Here is one of my pups doing it. My female did it allot when she was pregnant. I swear she did it all night long and only was on the bottom very little. Could be the joy of something new.

uploadfromtaptalk1391832144055.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Woohoo. Love learning something new. You guys rock, thank you, thats why I love keeping rays, they keep surprising you.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
you mentioned that the male is harrasing her. separate the male if you havnt already so he cant and see if it improves after in a few weeks after she has calmed down.

years ago i lost a female becaue the male was harrasing and she would stay out of the way in the flow.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
My pair have both done this on separate occasions. I remember my male doing it so much that i got nervous. He would do it 80% of the day. Then all of a sudden he stopped. It may be boredom. If you change the direction or angle of the flow it should stop the behaviour. Ive done that before also. All in all i know in nature they swim sometimes for periods of time without stopping and moving around on the floor so I'm sure they would like to exercise the same as we do on a treadmill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store