Softshell Turtles As Feeders For Arowana?

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
I see softshell turtles about 1 inch in size on sale for feeders in arowana breeder stores. The stores that we have can be 'arowana only' or 'discus only' because we have experienced breeders of those fish. Do you think it would be a good idea to feed arowana feeder turtles?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Species specific,exclusive boutique shops..interesting.I'd like to visit a datnoid shop if such a place existed.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Seems like a bad idea to me.

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
It would be much more expensive to use the little turtles as feed than using the regular food used for arowanas. The store owner might be pulling your leg. You have to ask the question, what is the most abundant natural food in the river that the arowana lives in? Small fishes and insects. Maybe more insects because they are top water fishes.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ok, well I actually think that the jardini takes other fish too. Mine now takes live shrimp/prawns I net from rivers.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Species specific,exclusive boutique shops..interesting.I'd like to visit a datnoid shop if such a place existed.
The arowana shops also have some datnoids.

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
imo, turtles are just too cute to be feeders for aros. Maybe ask the specialty shop if they got some frogs (specifically small floating frogs), a little less cute than turtles and tolerable when being fed to an arowana. I might even try white tree frogs when my aro has a big enough mouth to chow one (No offense to frog lovers) :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store