Brand new to freshwater fish keeping! pics

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Great looking tank, I love the driftwood. As for another tank mate, I would not suggest it. Most actually suggest just 2 oscars for a 125g, because they are messy fish - and you have a ray on top of that (which are also messy from what I have read).

ahsan64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2013
Nowshera
Oscar's are agressive in nature.You will see lots of fighting that can cause serious damage to each other.
And you can keep any monster fish bigger then oscar .
But since minimum size of tank for two oscar is about 130g so it's better to not introduce new fish in tank.
BTW nice o and what's the size. ?

Sent from MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishboobs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2014
Dallas, Tx
Great looking tank, I love the driftwood. As for another tank mate, I would not suggest it. Most actually suggest just 2 oscars for a 125g, because they are messy fish - and you have a ray on top of that (which are also messy from what I have read).
I'm pretty good with staying on top of my water changes. I'll be doing weekly tests and I do water changes every night because it is so simple.

Oscar's are agressive in nature.You will see lots of fighting that can cause serious damage to each other.
And you can keep any monster fish bigger then oscar .
But since minimum size of tank for two oscar is about 130g so it's better to not introduce new fish in tank.
BTW nice o and what's the size. ?

Sent from MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I purchased these oscars all together, they were all in the same tank for quiet some time. It is a 100 gallon. The largest oscar is 11 inches long. I wasn't sure if you were talking about tank size or fish size.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Dont want to come off as mean, but i sure hope you have plans for an upgrade in the nearish future with all those fish...

Most rays from my understanding require tanks with a much wider footprint than a 100 gallon can provide...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Thats a great first effort, like others say tho there is a good chance the oscars will be too much for a 100g when they are fully grown without the ray!-) oscars have been known to reach 18inch although 13-14 inch is more common. im guessing when you say you set it up 3 days ago you mean added fish as it should have been set up for a good few weeks and allowed to cycle?

It really is one of the best newbies tanks ive seen though, and keep up with them waterchanges as rays need pristine conditions or you may lose him her.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I believe the ray is a converted ray. In other words a ray that was originally saltwater fish that has been acclimated to freshwater. Unfortunately because of that the ray's imune system will not work as well as it would in saltwater. Most converted rays never reach adulthood in freshwater. If you want to keep a ray I sugest potamotrygon reticulata or potamotrygon hystrix. These rays are very small, the males rarely exceed 10" in disk width. You would still have to upgrade later on but at least you could keep the ray for a long time.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I believe the ray is a converted ray. In other words a ray that was originally saltwater fish that has been acclimated to freshwater. Unfortunately because of that the ray's imune system will not work as well as it would in saltwater. Most converted rays never reach adulthood in freshwater. If you want to keep a ray I sugest potamotrygon reticulata or potamotrygon hystrix. These rays are very small, the males rarely exceed 10" in disk width. You would still have to upgrade later on but at least you could keep the ray for a long time.
I'm pretty sure it's a converted stingray otherwise it's illegal. Freshwater stingrays are illegal in texas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store