110g SA Cichlid PT update & critique

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Just finished a reorg of my scape.* Since adding the Finnex planted+ as an additional light source I've seen a lot of growth. Moved the powerhead, trimmed the willows, moved the vals, moved around the rocks and driftwood during my last WC. The brown spots on my leaves and white funk on the driftwood have finally abated.

The placement of the willows appears too symmetrical since repositioning the largest piece of driftwood. Just didn't want to disrupt the roots and my fish are leaving this plant alone. Next steps are more plants along the back wall and the addition of a few baby BNP's. I'm also going to try adding pothos again and will be looking for diy holder suggestions for that as well. Im thinking of adding fish that will liven up the top portion of the tank...

Tank info:
110g SA, 48*18*28 Tall, Temp 79, pH 7.4, gh 5, kh 6, phosphate 1~ just bought a tester for phosphates and idk what the norm should be for this tank.

Using RO/DI water from a private well treated with Seachem equilibrium and alkaline/acid buffers.* 30% WC weekly or sooner if nitrates come close to 20. Black Eco complete and black caribsea Tahitian moon sand substrate.

Lighting is a 48in Current Sat+ and the recently added 48in Finnex Planted+. Ferts are root tabs and pps pro with alternate day dosing of micro/macro. Aside from the tank lighting, there is indirect light from a large east facing window which provides a nice amount of light in the room from sunrise to about 3pm. Plants are Willow leaf hygro, giant hygro, anubias, banana, bronze wendtii and Italian vals. There's a hydor 1050 and 2 eheim 2217 canisters. Scape also includes driftwood, inert rocks and a 3d BG.

WC SA Stock is 5 red head Tapajos, Bujurquina sp. Para Brazil pair, Australoheros Oblongum pair, Hypselacara Temporalis pair and an adult L240.

Input, suggestions and critique please! Thanks :)

uploadfromtaptalk1391886458863.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391886490729.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391886510033.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
looking good :D
is PPS-Pro supposed to alternate? when I was keeping up with it (I'm bad :S) I dosed micro and macro same day, since its a much smaller amount than EI where I alternate micro and macro every day.

Also, you need some more crypts, because I am of the philosophy of you should cover everything in plants, and crypts do marvelously in these kinds of setups (plus, since your tank is so tall, you don't have to worry about them looking too big in the foreground or anything)

I also want to say, try out some apongeton and other lilly/lotus plants, and look into Ammania species and Ludwigia species as they have thick stems that will handle your fish.

ALSO, just came to me, get cardinal plant, not the dwarf form though, the regular one. It gets scary massive roots and it will grow up and out of even your tank.

Might also look into anubias gigantia and hastefolia, as these get monstrous, as well as african and java fern, which get pretty sizable.

Glad to see you finally made a thread though :p Now I can comment on your tank lol

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
looking good :D
is PPS-Pro supposed to alternate? when I was keeping up with it (I'm bad :S) I dosed micro and macro same day, since its a much smaller amount than EI where I alternate micro and macro every day.

Also, you need some more crypts, because I am of the philosophy of you should cover everything in plants, and crypts do marvelously in these kinds of setups (plus, since your tank is so tall, you don't have to worry about them looking too big in the foreground or anything)

I also want to say, try out some apongeton and other lilly/lotus plants, and look into Ammania species and Ludwigia species as they have thick stems that will handle your fish.

ALSO, just came to me, get cardinal plant, not the dwarf form though, the regular one. It gets scary massive roots and it will grow up and out of even your tank.

Might also look into anubias gigantia and hastefolia, as these get monstrous, as well as african and java fern, which get pretty sizable.

Glad to see you finally made a thread though :p Now I can comment on your tank lol
Thanks Chris! Keep the comments coming :)
I was told (maybe erroneously?) not to dose micro/macro together because they'd cancel each other out. Was that incorrect?
These are great recs, looks like I've got some research to do! I would loooooove to have an F1 sized lace plant. I'm still upset about the time my Maculatus decimated my beauties, but that was in another tank. So I guess its time for another attempt at lace plants. I'm glad there's an NJAS meeting soon. There's always nice plants at a great price.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I was told (maybe erroneously?) not to dose micro/macro together because they'd cancel each other out. Was that incorrect?
These are great recs, looks like I've got some research to do! I would loooooove to have an F1 sized lace plant. I'm still upset about the time my Maculatus decimated my beauties, but that was in another tank. So I guess its time for another attempt at lace plants. I'm glad there's an NJAS meeting soon. There's always nice plants at a great price.

I wish I had local meets with worthwhile plants lol

I think the alternate dosing only applies when dosing large amounts, and PPS doses only what the plants need for a day, as opposed to dosing excess as EI does.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada

This is absolutely incorrect! Tank looks good!

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Thanks so much Chris & Jeremoose. I'm really glad to hear that info is incorrect. I'll go back to both daily in lieu of alternate days. Hopefully I'll see even more growth. Silly question time ~ Now I'm wondering, does this really need to be refrigerated?

The ferts I'm using are dry mix with r/o water added & refrigerated. Luckily for me, the bottle has its own internal measuring cup. PPS PRO has micros: CSM+B & macros: mix MgSO4, K2SO4, KNO3, and Kh2PO4. I dose 10ml per 10g of each for my 110g. Also add seachem flourish root tabs about every other month or with new plants.

Since I've upgraded my lighting, is this the optimal fert regimen? Can this be improved in any way? And is there a mix available without nitrates? My fish add enough of that on their own, esp my L240.

Thanks again!

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Thanks so much Chris & Jeremoose. I'm really glad to hear that info is incorrect. I'll go back to both daily in lieu of alternate days. Hopefully I'll see even more growth. Silly question time ~ Now I'm wondering, does this really need to be refrigerated?

The ferts I'm using are dry mix with r/o water added & refrigerated. Luckily for me, the bottle has its own internal measuring cup. PPS PRO has micros: CSM+B & macros: mix MgSO4, K2SO4, KNO3, and Kh2PO4. I dose 10ml per 10g of each for my 110g. Also add seachem flourish root tabs about every other month or with new plants.

Since I've upgraded my lighting, is this the optimal fert regimen? Can this be improved in any way? And is there a mix available without nitrates? My fish add enough of that on their own, esp my L240.

Thanks again!

I think your regime will be fine. It's too hard to customize PPS pro without a lot of test kits and scales and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store