Help with high copper levels

Dable

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2014
Port macquarie
Sorry I tried taking a screenshot ddnt work,

I have set up a cherry shrimp tank and all my parameters are spot on I noticed my shrimp started dying day by day till I lost them, took water sample in to lfs and copper was through the roof I made the mistake of using water straight from the tap, i wasn't aware I needed to let it run for 5 minutes first. lfs said to put PURIT chemical filtration media in my corner filter, and to do 3/4 tank daily water changes and I should b able to eliminate the copper or bring it down to a minimal level that won't hurt the shrimp.. Is this true??

Also does copper sink into gravel and driftwood and plants etc ?? Do I need to throw it all out ?? Or does the copper only lie in the water??

Please all opinions or suggestions are welcomed I really want to be successfull with my next lot of shrimp

My questions are

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure what the minimal level that wouldn't be dangerous to your shrimp would be so I'd remove rinse and replace the driftwood and gravel to be on the safe side.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
I'm not sure what the minimal level that wouldn't be dangerous to your shrimp would be so I'd remove rinse and replace the driftwood and gravel to be on the safe side.
This is exactly right. A light rinse will remove a large percentage of the copper left-over, if there is any at all. The amount left in the tank after draining it would be negligible anyways, the rinse would just be for good measure.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
This is exactly right. A light rinse will remove a large percentage of the copper left-over, if there is any at all. The amount left in the tank after draining it would be negligible anyways, the rinse would just be for good measure.
Copper is difficult to remove. Best to remove all substrate and decor to be safe. If all you have are shrimp, I'd start over

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Copper is difficult to remove. Best to remove all substrate and decor to be safe. If all you have are shrimp, I'd start over

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah, but the trace amounts left over clung to stuff would be negligible. Trace amounts are not harmful to shrimp, as Flourish has some copper in it but lots of people dose it into their shrimp tanks with no ill effects.

Sent from my C6906 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store